Nothing works but Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pointyears, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pointyears

pointyears Registered Member

A couple of days ago, during bootup, I got a message from my Norton AntiVirus 2003 program saying "Some Symantec product settings have been changed by an unauthorized program (1005,1). " It was unable to revert to previous settings. Symantec's solution is to uninstall Norton Antivirus, which I did, then reinstall it after deleting some other files, neither of which I got to. After rebooting, I discovered, to my horror, that other than basic Windows functions--and Internet Explorer--none of my programs, including SpywareBlaster, Spy Sweeper, System Restore, nothing will execute. Instead, Wordpad opens up and displays the gibberish of the .exe file I am attempting to use. A couple of times I have received a message saying a program won't open because it cannot find a file called ccTrust.dll. I'm not sure, but I think this may have been a Norton's file that was deleted. I am unable to reinstall Norton's because that requires an .exe file that opens in Wordpad! And when I reboot, all the programs that would normally boot up open as Wordpad files with the .exe extension. Does anyone have a clue as to how I can fix this problem? I haven't called Norton's because I will probably get someone in tech support from Bangladesh who will say it's not their fault or their problem. I welcome all responses.

P.S.: Outlook Express doesn't work, either, although I can surf without problem.

Pointyears

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi

You can donwload a copy of ccTrust.dll Here after you download it, do a online-scan (link's in my signature) just to sure nothing's in new file (or the computer). I did a little googleling, and i saw one who had a similar problem, hopefully this will "do the trick". Do a full scan with Spy Sweeper if you get it going again. :)

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.