Nothing but problems on Windows 2003 server - chokes nod32

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by sundru, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sundru

sundru Registered Member

Hello,

Am not sure if this is the right section to post problems
    But we are a small business with multiple licenses of business edition of nod32.

We have had to uninstall nod32 from all windows 2003 servers due to the following issue:

1. NOD32 chokes when installed on a high volume file server (without DFS) approx 600-700 opened or closed per minute ( statistics thru procmon on server)

2. On another server running DFS would choke with NOD32 under 5 mins

3. Terminal server choked with 19 users under 1 hour, just using regular desktop applications.

4. VBS and script files sitting on ADS got corrupted with NOD32.

Pl do NOT publish a business/ enterprise edition without properly testing the application. It was a pain to identify that the antivirus was the issue in the first place. The only reason that i suggested this to my company was because of its lightweight and ease of manageability.

- A very frustrated sys admin

2. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

We've made the decision to move elsewhere when our licenses expire in 2011. We've over 130 licenses for ESET, but we feel badly let down by the quality of V4.

Unless ESET can sort themselves out by then?....

Good luck in getting a resolution to your own ESET issues.

Jim

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

There are many things to consider when deploying any antivirus solution on a server OS. The most common problems we see are with configuration and exclusions. Here are some of our own recommendations as well as recommendations from Microsoft. For ESET’s recommended server settings click here. For a list of Exchange exclusions click here. For resolving issues with DFS click here. For Microsoft’s recommendations for running antivirus on a server OS click here. Hopefully this provides you with some new information.

4. rpremuz

rpremuz Registered Member

The Eset software that installs on a server should have an option which enables all the recommended settings and exclusions that are appropriate for the server.

System administrators don't like the AV software that requires so many customizations after installation (although this is not problem with me as I've been using NOD32 AV since version 1.*).

IMHO, if the system administrator is supposed to customize the settings for proper operation of the Eset software on a server, then the product manual should include all the instructions you mentioned. E.g. current ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 User Guide (http://download.eset.com/manuals/ESET_ESS4_User_Guide_ENU.pdf ) does not include that important information.

-- rpr.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  5. mannyo1221

mannyo1221 Registered Member

We are already dumping nod32, 8 months before our 450 user license expires and going back to our previous vendors products. V4 is so unstable compared to what we had before and has increased support calls by 50% for one product.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

When I was working in a bank, we didn't deploy Windows XP to servers even when it'd been on the market for 1-2 years, but we stayed with Windows 2000 due to potential problems and vulnerabilities that might have been discovered after the release. V4 had been tested for quite a long time before it was released and no negative feedback about installation on servers was received nor did we run into any while testing it on server systems. If you're having issues with v4 on servers, uninstall it and install the latest v3 3.0.684 which has been reported by many admins to work perfectly on servers.

7. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Along with 2.7
    I run 2008 Server 64bit and 2.7 runs great on it.. Along with 3.0.672 or 684..

8. sundru

sundru Registered Member

Running on a server is not the issue, running any kind of volume or load on the server is, how many folks do u have connecting to your server ?

-S

9. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Around 800-900 on a File Server running 3.0.672..

I can get you a list of exclusions, and settings if you want.. We run a Clustered 2k8 file server. It was the only server to lock hard with 4.0.. I have Global Catalogs in remote sites which never had issues with 4.0.. Just this one instance.. You may try disabling real time protection to see if that helps.

10. Paul2

Paul2 Registered Member

Wow, this is not good. I have two clients using 3.0. They both bought NOD32 on my recommendation.

I was getting ready to upgrade them to 4.0, but that now looks like a bad idea, especially since my best technical expertise is not with servers, but elsewhere.

It's not a high volume installation, but still, I could have really had egg on my face.

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I have lots of SMB clients and I have upgraded most to EAV 4.0 (since 4.0.424) . They now run 4.0.437 Bulgarian build along with their servers (all are Windows 2003)

No problem could I find related to ESET NOD32 installation . ESET products have always been working great for me and then when it comes to lightness , trouble-free or whatever crashes/bugs . The general server configuration recommendations have , of course , been incorprated.

Should you come across something strange and you believe it is v4 related , v3.0.684 is great version and it is not worse than v4

12. Paul2

Paul2 Registered Member

Thanks, but I think I'll leave those clients at v3. They are both volunteer jobs for me, so upgrading them has pretty much zero upside, and the downside is the potential for a lot of extra free work required to fix things if something goes wrong.

Maybe - MAYBE - I'll try v4 on my own computers. Not that that will tell me much, because neither of them are high-volume servers either.

13. not4

not4 Registered Member

You better do. You can find many, many posts on that forum about version 4 crashing servers for a months. Eset knows about this and is working on a resolution for a months leaving users with version 3. I have 300 users and after installing version 4 all file servers and exhcange server just crashed!! We came back to version 3 but it has different problem called - error 101a - it stopps updating after a while! Eset's solution - re-install nod and restart. But those are servers!!!
    We are left with 2 more years of that poor antivirus before moving to competition.
    PS. I have installed Symantec Endpoint on a file server after NOD v.4 crashed it and no problems so far - and it's even updating itself:)

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Symantec's Endpoint protection is not bad program as a whole but don't you think it is too heavy on resourses and too slow to react on threats (not updates but the program itself) . Additionally , its updates are too old-fashioned and too big (comparated to ESET's) . Norton 2009 (for consumers) are way better than Symantec's Endpoint protection 11 , IMO.

Perhaps because you didn't incorporated the necessary server recommendation exclusions ? Additionally , v4 is not for MS-Exchange . Note that ! v2.7 + XMON is for Exchange.

15. not4

not4 Registered Member

Compared to NOD32 version 4 Endpoint is a sprinter :) At least it's usable as is not killing file servers!

PS. Exclusions are not helping on ver.4 and Eset is aware of the problem. They are fixing it for months! It's just small Slovakian company and the support as you see is crap compared to ie. Symantec...

16. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

As it's been already explained, those having problems with v4 on servers can install the latest v3 3.0.684 which has proven to work perfectly on all kind of server configurations.

As for the size of the ESET company and support, I won't take it personally as an offending remark. ESET is not a small company. Although we don't have thousands of employees like Microsoft for instance, the number of people working at ESET's HQ is counted in hundreds compared to about 20 people who were working there when I joined ESET a few years ago. Support for the US and America is provided by ESET, llc in San Diego. Support for end users is provided by local distributors who escalate more serious issue reports to the global partner support at ESET's HQ when necessary.

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

We can argue about that . :) The onliest I simply can't agree with is the statement that Symantec Endpoint protection 11.0.4 is faster/lighter than ESET NOD32 3.0. or 4.0

At least not on our computers and all I have seen.

Perhaps you should :D <kidding>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.