Not using Threatfire. Why?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jdd58, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

It was a conflict between OA free and TF. Removed OA free for now and installed DMR to replace runsafer.

2. danielrego

danielrego Registered Member

So is anyone else having CPU usage issues with services.exe while ThreatFire is running? And i dont mean while TF is running a scan or anything, just with normal usage. Even after suspending TF through the tray icon right click, the overall CPU levels for services.exe don't quiet down. Also playing large video files is a complete pain as merely opening the file takes ages now. I really like TF as a product but it's performance issues are a severe drawback. :(

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I removed threatfire for Reasons of,1 Is and I find it very strange, while I had protection on with the free returnil,Threatfire updated itself and known the updates would not be saved,upon a reboot on my macine,I tried to update threatfire manually after I rebooted to no updates available.A short time latter probably less then a minute, It updates itself again automatic.2nd Reason Is Times of Cpu Spikes and lastly the Gui some times Does not seem to want to open.I think overall its a good product but there something about it that dont sit well with me.

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Have noticed the same strange behavior.

I have noticed a fluctuation of CPU usage, 0 to 2% and memory usage changing from 3900 t0 4200K. But there is no noticeable hit on overall PC performance. This is on my Wifes` laptop, minimum user interaction a must as well ;) , so I`ll keep it. I have also recommended, installed it on several Family\friends PCs. They love it. In one case it has already saved a Friend from possible infection on a couple occasions.

5. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I am pretty sure that to update the database in the free version of TF you have to use automatic updates, which means having community protection turned on as well. The manual (smart) update will only work for program updates. TF is planning on changing this in the near future.

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Ah Ok that explains It then,but for now I will try some others like mamutu for a while see how that pans out.

7. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Not seeing this with either of my XP boxes running TF. Services.exe is connected to the event log and Plug & Play. You might want to check your event log and see if you have any errors. Possibly one of your other security apps is conflicting with TF.

8. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Your post reminded me why i stopped using threatfire.If you had a nastie in a zip file (and izark was your zip programe) it would blame izark and remove its .exe rather than remove the actual zip file that had the nastie in ( that izark was opening).Thanks for reminding me not to try it again.
    ellison

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I used it for a while and liked it, but I have to say that I did notice a mild performance degradation in browsing and in general, so I removed it for that reason. I prefer good performance here, even if I have to sacrafice some protection.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Exactly the reason, (since i already use EQS 4.0 beta), why for a behavioral blocker i turned back the clock and reached back for an early CyberHawk version that is "Lite" and with 0 FP's. One could argue it doesn't cover enough or tapped into a community database, but for me the old version does exactly what i need to suppliment EQS, and that is it catches most all dll injections and immediately TERMINATES the source originating app. I always applauded that feature. Anything else it offers is a bonus. To me, just like Kerio 2.15, obsolete is really not true if matched up with a good balance of coverages and newer will never always equate to being better.

IMO, in all software, there is that MAGIC or special one version during development which is ideal! This is so very true.

Plus, why does a behavioral blocker have to be so heavy or put a drag on performance when all it's doing anyway is setting some choice "hooks" and intelligent dll's to carry out intercepting behaviors. To add a Bloat such as virus database might be OK locally, but i prefer to keep my security apps from a "live" dependency from any website, aka community protections. I raised this same beef about Prevx although i don't discount it's usefulness, it's just not for some users like me who prefer to download updates and keep them locally.

11. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

I completely agree to what EASTER said.
    Since Threatfire's inception with PC Tools, I never liked it, not one bit :thumbd:
    Protection it promises to deliver seems to be close to nil. It does not detect most malware that dedicated AVs and AS can deliver (Just read the scope of coverage in it's main website. Pfft..rubbish)

I lot my copy of Cyberhawk a few months (maybe years) ago, and now resorted to torrents (yes, TORRENTS) just to have a copy of the good ol' Cyberhawk. Installed it on my machine and working like a charm!

12. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

After playing around with a few combinations I found:

TF and Avira free = won’t go into hibernate
    TF and OA free = won’t go into hibernate
    TF and BOClean = OK
    TF and AVG8 = almost unbootable

After a few tries I was able to uninstall AVG8 before the system locked up.

TF introduces too many chances for conflict on my PC, therefore I am removing it from all my machines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.