Not pleased with Trend Micro, suggestions please

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bgoodman4, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

That's the beauty of ESET it's very simple and easy to use :thumb:

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Well, after working with ESET for a bit I must say I am very impressed and extremely happy with it. I ran a scan and the program found 2 files that were compromised that Norton and Trend Micro had missed completely. The scan was considerably faster than I am used to (I ran an in-depth scan of the entire PC and it was about a third faster than the scans I used to run using Trend Micro). In addition booting the PC is noticeably faster than it has been in a very long time. The help files are clear and to the point and I have already grown to appreciate the programs minimalist interface. In short a very nice effective program, one that I will definitely be keeping on my PC.

Many thanks to those who encouraged me to try it, much appreciated.

3. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

I would like to recommend you to upload those files that detected by ESET to Virus Total next time to check whether is false positives or not.I am not saying that ESET got high FP rate but just to check.No AV has no FP.

4. bgoodman4

Thats an excellent idea, thank you.

5. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

However you should be really careful with VirusTotal, if let's say out of all 40 vendors, only ESET classifies a particular file as a threat, you can't be sure it is a false positive. Also if all 40 vendors except ESET classifies a particular file as a threat, you can't actually say it is a threat.
    But ofcourse I do agree that in both situations it is very likely that the large majority is right.

6. marciocruz

marciocruz Registered Member

Hello, you should contact the support TrendMicro in order to be checked the situation, the support area of TrendMicro, will be happy to help you renew your license.
    If all this time, you have been happy with the protection offered by TrendMicro products, you must continue with the protection that fits you best.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  7. bgoodman4

The only things in life that are certain are death and taxes. Still, a majority view about a files safety is better than only ESETs view I would guess. In addition, if I am uncertain and want a more (or less) final statement one way or another I can submit the file to ESET support for analysis. I assume they would let me know one way or another (being brand new to ESET I may be wrong about this).

8. bgoodman4

I did contact Trend Micro about the issue and they have not indicated at this point why I was having the issue. In the mean time they were kind enough to let me know that I did not have to renew at the correct renewal price of $63.95, that if i wanted, I could buy a new licence at the sale price of $55.95. That was very kind of them I must say. They also have not told me what would have happened had I renewed at one of the higher prices. Presumably if I had found out I had paid more than I should have I would get a refund,,,,,,thats if I found out about it,,,,,which is not likely.

I am very pleased with ESET. Much more so than I ever was with TM. TM is like an overweight runner, slow and lumbering (as was the trial I had with Norton). Best of all I have leaned something by the experience and thats to review each time I need to renew rather than simply to renew what I have been using. When I first bought TM it was very highly thought of by reviewers and users. Now,,,,not so much. Also, not to rely strictly on reviews and user comments but to trial the various contenders and decide for myself which suites me best. A valuable lesson for sure (better to have learnt it late than never).
    I am very glad to have changed.

9. LethalBoy

LethalBoy Registered Member

Nice to hear that you are very glad about ESET. Hope you enjoy it :D

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

If he wouldn't have got pleased with ESET, then I don't know what else we could have suggested ;)

11. dan323

dan323 Registered Member

I also used Norton years ago and swore them off. Then I had problems with another AV. Last year I did the Trail of NIS 2010. It was great,fast and light. This year I just renewed my subscription and upgraded to 360 v5. Also very nice and light. But this is a personal preference and totally up to you. Do the trials, Kaspersky,Norton,Eset even try Comodo. See what works for you.

12. malexous

malexous Registered Member

I hope ESET continues to please.

I am sorry you had to learn the hard way that a trial is a good idea. I have tried a few antivirus on my computer and they were unnoticeable most of time bar one. It has many positive reviews and user opinions too but on my computer, its CPU usage was ridiculous.

13. bgoodman4

Yup, I continue to like ESET very much. A very nice program indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.