Not Enough Memory to run Worm?????

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by FireDancer, Jul 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireDancer

FireDancer Registered Member

Hi all,

This morning I fdisked my puter because of a file problem somewhere that could not be found and it was hampering my ability to use TDS3 and WG.

After much help from Jooske, Dan and Diamond and all there efforts(thanks guys and gals) I decided it best to just start from scratch!!! ;)! I fdisked, partitioned and formatted hdd, and installed win98se.

All is well TDS3 is back in.. with update packet5 and doing nicely along with Kerio 5.1.2. I Installed WG next
    and got it all set up(no problems) and highlighted a file
    then right clicked it to tell it to scan with WG and got a prompt that says "Not enough memory to use this application, try closeing other applications and re try"!!!

UGH... at present I have Kerio and NOD32 running in the task bar...what giveso_O?? Do I need to close down NOD and run that only when I need to? Not sure whats causing this mystery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
    FireDancer :D

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Firedancer,

Have you looked at the ResourceMeter applet to see how much memory resources you have available around the time of the error. You should be able to find it in your SystemTools section of the Start menu. If it is not installed you can add it from Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Setup -> System Tools (I think)

Once you look at ResourceMeter, even if you click the close button it will only minimize to the taskbar and that program itself takes up memory resources so you may want to right-click on the taskbar icon to close it when you are done.

Thanks,

Dan

3. FireDancer

Hiya dan,

10-4 on the resource meter it was one of the first things I did after new install of win98se as I do like to keep an eyeball on it at times... Im gonna go fire it up and open WG and try to re inact the last problem ill be back in a bit..

Regards
    Firedancer :cool:

4. FireDancer

Dan,

I went ahead and shut down NOD32 before trying this little test and this is what I got with just my firewall runnning.... and scanning one file with WG. As you can see I should have enough memory to do a whole lot more!!!!! 512megs :'(

Regards,
    FireDancer

Attached Files:

5. Dan Perez

Yeah, I agree resources is not an issue here but why is main.cpl prompting the error? That seems strange. DCS folks should be online soon to give their input. I will see what I can find through other means. As far as RAM is concerned, having more than 64MB has little effect on a Win9x machine due to its allocation of resources. Still, this is apparently not an issue here. I will post as soon as I find anything.

Dan

6. FireDancer

Dan,
    Thanks... I await a reply!!!! Curiosity is killin this cat :)

7. Dan Perez

Well, I did searches in CopernicPro, Google and on MS's site and couldn't find anything definitive. But I did see enough to point to the *possibility* of a driver issue with keyboard, mouse, fonts or printers. The main.cpl control panel applet controls those devices and there have been instances of similar errors from badly implemented drivers.

Even to me, this seems a bit weak but it was all I could find.

An older version of Wormguard did cause "Out of Memory" errors (I don't know if they were evoked from main.cpl though) and I suppose it is conceivable that this might be a carryover issue that is only evident because you run so much Ram on 9x. This seems even more weak and I am sure the DCS can speak more authoritatively on this "possibility".

Sorry I couldn't come up with anything more definitive but I have hopes of further input from the DCS folks :)

8. FireDancer

Dan,

Main.cpl was the file I clicked on and highlighted to scan... my bad? hmmm seems to do it with any type file any where in the cpu. Heck after it happens I cant even open my docs i get same error just trying to open a folder. It seems to go away rather quickly after I close it all down and if i try to scan something else it does it again... did I try to scan a file that was not scannable?
    hoipe i didnt mess up and then post unnessicaraly (lol my spelling sucks anymore) :) anyways I will wait for a reply thanks again

FireDancer

9. Dan Perez

Ah, okay so the main.cpl is not the origin of the overall issue then. Do you get the error is you scan a txt file?

10. Dan Perez

hmmm, another question, Was NOD (or any other scanner) active while installing WG? If so, you might want to disable the WG protection, uninstall, disable any resident scanner, reinstall and reenable WG protection.

11. Douglas

Douglas Guest

12. FireDancer

Dan and Douglas,

Thanks so much for the above posted thread that solves the problem. It seems in the post its a microsoft related issue and will be resolved in WG ver.4. They go on to explain that WG is working fine!!!! :D YEAH!! So it is not me or my system it's basicly Microsoft!!!! :rolleyes:

Anyways guys thanks so much for the post!! Im off to post in other firewalls ... UGHHHH :) LOL

Regards,
    FireDancer

13. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

...you can try to put a link to wormguard.exe in your "sendto" folder. Maybe this is a way of calling WG to scan a single file which won't produce the error. (maybe not...)

Just an idea,
    Andreas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.