NOT A TI OWNER YET-NEED ADVICE

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by davidinsarasota, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidinsarasota

davidinsarasota Registered Member

I have a new internal hd on the way from Hitachi. My research tells me Acronis True Image 9 is the best product for migrating the data from my laptop's current hd to the new unit, then switcheroo and use the old hd for image storage and back-up. Also somewhere along the line I lost the ability to do an xp system restore. (That's what I get for downloading every stray dog that comes into the yard, and for playing in the registry.)

I have been scanning the posts here and am as impressed by the support as I am baffled by the terms and proceedures.

Here are my questions:
    1. Am I correct that TI 9 may restore my ability to system restore?

2. Is there any advantage or disadvantage in downloading the free trial first?

3. Am I likely to encounter complications in that I am going from 4200rpm to 7200rpm?

4. The enclosure I've ordered has two buttons; one for os backup and one for file backup. Will I be able to utilize these with TI 9?

Thanks in advance, any additional pointers are appreciated as well.

david

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

This was posted twice, I've moved the second copy offline - just in case you're wondering where it went.
    No. You will only replicate the current state of the drive. If there is a problem, this will not fix it.
    It will flag any compatibility/operating issues. You mention loss of restore, are there other issues? If so, straight backup may not be the best initial course. Depending on your circumstance, you may wish to:
    • Backup/copy personal files in the Documents and Settings folder first. Programs can be readily reinstalled, some of these files may not be so easily recovered.
    • Deal with system problems. Stabilize the system if needed.
    • Clone the drive to the new one and validate that it runs everything it should before placing the original drive in a backup role.
    No.
    Is it a Maxtor One-Touch III? As I recall, the Maxtor software can be configured to invoke alternate programs, but you will have to perform the set-up.
    The Acronis folks may be able to provide some more definitive answers regarding some questions, especially regarding 4.

Blue

3. davidinsarasota

davidinsarasota Registered Member

Thanks Blue, also appreciate removing the duplicate post, I'm not familiar with the ui here yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.