Norton subscription

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zelmo, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zelmo

zelmo Registered Member

I have been using the Norton suite for many years. When the subscription would run out I would read the horrible reviews some posted on the latest version, but bit the bullet and bought it anyway. There was always a great deal around so it was cheap (or free) after rebates to do it this way. Maybe I was lucky but I never had problems after upgrading.

I am currently running the 2006 suite and have started to get the subscription expiration notice. Everything is running fine and I really don't want to mess with it, but I can't believe Norton wants $40 to renew the subscription for a year.

I know I can get Norton AV 2007 for free right now. Is there a way to uninstall AV 2006 out of Internet Security and install AV 2007 since that is the only program that I care about getting updates for?

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

never renew, the prices are always more expensive that you can get at other places, ive seen power sellers on ebay selling norton IS 2007 for just £15

yes you can uninstall 2006 and use 2007, when installing, just select antivirus only if this is all you want (i think you can still do this...)

3. zelmo

zelmo Registered Member

After looking around, it seems I would need to uninstall Internet Security entirely. Any way to just remove AV?

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

even if there was, i would not recommend it.

please uninstall 2006, before installing 2007

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@ Zelmo

For clean install of the new product/version , whichever it is ,

1) Uninstall NIS from Control Panel->Add/Remove programs
    2) Reboot
    3) Check again Control Panel->Add/Remove programs for further leftovers (such as some Symantec stuff or Live Update and if present , uninstall it , too)
    4) Download and run Symantec's Norton removal tool which will remove all leftovers
    5) Now install the new product

6. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

I don't run Norton Internet Security but Norton SystemWorks allow you to remove the AntiVirus without uninstalling the full programme.
    Add or Remove, scroll down to NIS and see if it allows change/uninstall, if it does use the modify section and choose to remove the antivirus only.

7. zelmo

zelmo Registered Member

Before I go down this path, am I correct that AntiVirus is the only program that really needs updates?

8. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Assuming the path you intend to go down is the one I mentioned in my previous posting, then I think the following applies.
    If the version of NIS is current then it's possible that the software other than the antivirus section would still need to be updated. However, if you are able to uninstall the antivirus from NIS with the modify option (assuming you have that option) then you could still update the programme without updating the antivirus section because the antivirus section would no longer be there (IMO).

9. kwg

kwg Registered Member

You can get the entire Norton Internet Security 2007 suite for just $19.99 (with free shipping) after rebates:

http://www.buy.com/prod/symantec-norton-internet-security-2007/q/loc/105/202987896.html

10. zelmo

zelmo Registered Member

11. kwg

kwg Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.