Norton: return of a king?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by WraithTDK, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

I agree, Norton is light/faster and most accept that, but the marketing tries to make it sound like every other Security solution except Norton 2009 is bloated and will slow your machine down, this is not true.

I have Kaspersky AV 2009 running and it's memory footprint rivals Nortons from my experience of using them both, even Mcafee is much lighter these days. I'm currently trying Mcafee Anti-virus plus 2009 on one machine and it's resource usage is very acceptable. All Symantec have done is catch up with what some other rivals like Kaspersky have been doing for a long time.

2. gery

gery Registered Member

I am not a fan of neither Kasperskay nor Norton but in my experience there is no way i can compare them in terms of performance . I have had huge slowdowns both in browsing and in computer speed to open files or folders . So Norton is far better then the first but i have seen even better then Norton in other terms of security or performance.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'd take Norton/Symantec anyday over KAV. KAV's web scanner has got to be the slowest thing I've ever seen. And in years past, I wasn't too happy about the crap it did with the file system either. Norton has never had either of these problems. It's good to see them improving it again and perhaps paying some long overdue attention to users comments about their products.

4. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

I see complaints about Kaspersky slowing down the Internet speed, but I haven't experienced such slowdown in all the time I've used it. The only time I have experienced slowdown is when there has been a conflict between kaspersky and another security program.

5. risl

risl Registered Member

I used to like KAV in versions 4.0 and 4.5, before that "crap". Same happened with Norton, used it in 2003 but 2004, 2005 and 2006 were also .. "crap". Nice to see though that the big player(s?)are starting to improve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.