Norton Protected Recycle Bin and TI

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Howard Kaikow, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I was wondering whether the following also applied to the virtual drives created by True Image 9.
    ----------------------------------
    I have Ghost 10 and NAV 2005 installed in Win 2000.

Tonight, I ran a backup to create the base set for a recovery point set.

Used Explore to create virtual drives from the backup image.

Let's call a real drive C and its corresponding virtual drive O.
    I opened a command prompt window and ran the following:

CD C:
    cd \
    dir/s/-p > d:\c.txt

CD O:
    cd \
    dir/s/-p > d:\o.txt

CD D:
    cd \

fc c.txt o.txt > co.txt

Examining c.txt and o.txt, I noticed that there were a few more files in the virtual drive than in the real drive. That made no sense, as I had not changed anything since the backup.

I got curious, and compared a few more real drives with their corresponding virtual drive. In ALL cases, the virtual drive had a few more files.

This was troubling as a backup should not create files, so I investigated further.

Examining co.txt, I quickly found the problem. Same for comparing the other real drives with their corresponding virtual drive.

The difference occurs because NAV 2005 is protecting each Recyled directory as a "Norton Protected Recycle Bin".

In each case there is a hidden directory in the Recycled directory, and the hidden directory contains various files that differ from drive to drive.

Apparently, that directory, on a real drive, is protected from view when one performs, say, dir/s/-p in a command window. So, I guess that directory is not protected on a virtual drive created from an image backup.

Is this a security flaw, i.e., should the directory also be hidden in the virtual drive?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Howard Kaikow,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

I'm afraid that I'm not eligible to provide you with any information concerning the functionality of Norton or Symantec software.

As for Acronis True Image 9.0, please note that it creates the exact copy of the backed up disk\partition including the attributes of the folders (e.g. hidden ones). I therefore do not expect you to encounter such problems when exploring the images with Acronis True Image 9.0.

However, I recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0, create a disk\partition image, mount it as virtual drive using Plug Image tool and see the result.

Please let me know if the situation is the same with Acronis True Image 9.0. I'll forward this information to our Testing Team and they will certainly do their best in order to find out the reason for this problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I've disabled the Norton Protected Recycle Bin, as it all it accomplished was a great waste of disk space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.