Norton Power Eraser

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by CogitoTesting, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

This is clearly not competition for MalwareBytes. It is using heuristics rather than looking for known threats, and gives many false positives. It is as has been stated a program to be used after (not instead of) running other antimalware software when infections still remain.

It gave me a number of false positives on my computer, but in the context for which this was designed I consider this to be acceptable. It's not a tool where you should remove everything found, but rather you should think carefully before you remove anything.

2. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Indeed that is exactly what I said. I think it really differs a lot. MBAM ain't extremely aggresive, MBAM just looks at filename and size if you would rename calc.exe or notepad.exe to the name of the TDS rootkit atapi.sys it would detect it.
    When you lost your system and you dont have a clue what to do you sould run this tool. It is basically a comlex version of the various removal tools are companies provide. Or something like CWShredder in the past, but now pointed to crimeware.
    Don't think MBAM/SAS/Hitman Pro/A-Squared Free fear this tool.

3. Troy45

Troy45 Registered Member

MBAM 1.45 now has heuristics. From reading on there facebook page they will be further tightening heuristics with a new beta that will be released soon. So i don't think MBAM is in trouble. There doing GREAT!

From MBAM Recent Changes:

"4. Added a brand new advanced heuristics detection module named Shuriken that will be integrated into both scanner and protection module."

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

The FPs mentioned in this thread, keep in mind, most average users aren't using those programs.

The bootable recovery tool, anyone test that? Noticed it needs a beta key to work.

5. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

You have to be a beta tester for NIS2011.

6. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I'll always love MBAM :'( :'( :'( :'( always love MBAM. :D

Thanks.

7. CogitoTesting

I do not think anybody is bashing. I just think that most people are little bit taken aback to the fact that Symantec is providing for free. To them it is just too good to be true, eventually they'll be convinced. Just give it time. :thumb:

Thanks.

8. CogitoTesting

I already tested and it is great. It was able to detect and clean all the malware that were on my VM. Now the only negative in such a tool stems from the fact it requires a Norton License in order to use it. :thumbd:

Thanks.

9. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

And those that do get the FPs should report them to Symantec. Otherwise how else will they be corrected?

11. IBK

IBK AV Expert

considering that the EULA says that everything it finds (including files) may be uploaded/sent to Symantec, I guess its not really needed to send it twice :p

12. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I must admit that after seeing the amount of common apps being detected as malware ,i feel why should i be bothered to report them as FPs?.Whoever programmed the thing and is responsible for keeping it updated should have at least the most common apps whitelisted or trusted or whatever way it works.I dont get this "use as a last resort" thing either.I want to save my pc if i had something wrong with it, not quarantine good stuff as well as bad stuff and end up making it worse.I dont think mbam has anything to worry about on the basis of this,and i sure aint gonna purchase norton just to use this.I tried it ,uninstalled it ,and probably wont be reinstalling it ...
    ellison

13. CogitoTesting

You do not need to purchase Norton to get it. It will part of their free tools offering.

Please do not forget that this is a beta software. Give it a chance to mature.

Thanks.

14. CogitoTesting

The keyword here is "maybe" so there is a chance that these prospective files may not be uploaded.

Thanks.

15. whitedragon551

You have to be a beta tester to get their bootable recovery CD beta. YOu dont have to purchase anything.

16. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Thanks for the correction..
    I misinterpreted a quote from aliasex post ,put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5 :doubt:
    I know its beta but even so; flagging the most common apps is not good.
    ellison

17. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, tested... this thing seems extremely trigger-happy ATM and definitely needs more work.

18. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

Sorry for causing confusion. The last quote was in reply to CogitoTesting's post.

19. davidk_1

davidk_1 Registered Member

First off I'd like to thank everyone who tried the tool, your feedback is invaluable. The false positives are being addressed as quickly as possible and there should be an update in the next week or so with new rules.

For anyone who would like to try NBRT (the CD-based repair solution) you should sign up for the beta, it's open to everyone:
    http://www.symantec.com/norton/beta/

If the download doesn't come with a key, PM me (along with the product, NIS or NAV) and I'll send you a key that's good for the beta.

20. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Found mbamservice.exe and mbam.sys to be malicious. Cool :).

We welcome all competition and this just motivates us to do better!

21. Back2Jack

Back2Jack Registered Member

I have not had FP's from Malwarebytes and I still run it After Norton - That is where I find the real bad guys - ;)

22. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I have run Norton Power Eraser since it first appeared on various machines with various configurations (with MBAM free installed) and it never flagged your file(s).

23. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Norton has said that this is a last-ditch tool and expect false positives. You guys on the other hand, in your main-line products have a crap load of false positives.

Check our your own false positive forum http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=42

What a joke product! If a major vendor had as many FPs as you on a daily basis, they would be out of business.

By the way, Power Eraser is basis on global reputation of a file. If your files were convicted, it shows that they aren't that popular, OR you are testing with an unreleased version of those files.

24. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Wonderful, tools that removes files depending on whether they are popular or not is exactly what I've been waiting for. I assume that if I unpack linux kernel source into a directory it's gonna wipe it all b/c the files aren't popular among Norton folks? :rolleyes: :D

25. whitedragon551

MBAM isnt popular, Private FW isnt popular, FF isnt popular and neither is Thunderbird right? Reputation is BS in this tool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.