Norton Personal Firewall uninstall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by da cat, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da cat

da cat Guest

I've recently been through a nightmare trying to uninstall my Norton Personal Firewall. I eventually had to manually remove it from the registry. It seems however that I must have missed a key because each time I try to open any application the windows installer starts and tries to load NPF. I can cancel it each time and eventually get the application to open after about 8 or 9 attemps to stop the installer.

The message:

Error 1706 No valid source could be found for Norton Personal Firewall. The windows installer cannot continue.

It's a pain. Can anyone advise how to stop this?

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

3. da cat

da cat Guest

Thanks for the reply.

It was NPF 2002 that I was using. I had been unable to remove it via add/remove programmes and then tried the RnisUPG.exe tool. After that failed I followed the steps in this article

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2002040113472136

I have repeted it a couple of timesd but the uninstaller still wants to fire up ech time I start any application.

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi da cat

Have you tried a reinstall (don't worry about all the live updates) and then another uninstall via Add/Remove Programs, followed by the RNIS untility.

Also with your previous uninstall, did you also uninstall Live Reg/Live Update?

Regards,

CrazyM

5. da cat

da cat Guest

Hi CrazyM

I uninstalled the live reg/live update when I tried to uninstall NPF. This uninstalled without any problems. I have since tried to install the programme again to no avail since it says that I need to uninstall the version already installed!!!

It's not stopping anything from working but it is a real irritation to have to repeatedly cancel before being able to run anything.

6. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

Recent directions on Live Update removal at DSLR:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9252270~mode=flat

Looking for my own quick description of how I finally managed to get it off:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9166082~mode=flat

One thing I would like to emphasize is that, at least in my experience, I had to uninstall NAV, NIS, and NSW before doing the LiveReg and LiveUpdate uninstalls. (Somehow Symantec never seems to mention those two in their directions when they start talking about uninstalling all Symantec products.)

7. da cat

da cat Guest

Thanks JVM

I had a look at the threads you posted and it seems that I have already done these. A bit of background info. I had to uninstall this after my Live updates stopped working after the Jan 7th update. It's taken me a full week of messing around trying to delete everything and I'm sure that I've missed some registry entry that's linking the windows installer with the NPF. I'm getting to the stage where I feel that no matter what I do this is still going to happen unless I reformat and I really really do not want to do that

This has taught me a valuable lesson nd that's not to ever install Norton's pernicious software on my system again. When I contacted Symantec about this their response was that if I upgraded from 2002 to 2004 the problem would be solved !!!!

8. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

Then you got the bug before I did! ;) Somewhere buried in those threads (might be the one on Symantec Subscription Refund), someone gave me a detailed list of the registry entries. Now, I've kept some of these, just in case Symantec ever does bother to ask me about what happened in my case (especially, I've kept all the LiveUpdate logs that I can find).
    I, too, have come to that conclusion. In particular, I can't have a software firewall or AV that just packs it all in and yet maintains that it's still working just fine; that is unacceptable.
    Yeah, well, . . . based on what I read in the funnies, that solution doesn't work either (for some people).

9. da cat

da cat Registered Member

Somehow I can't see Symntec offering to refund my 6 months outstanding subscription fees :mad:

The only thing that's kind of consoling me about all this is that it's not just me and that I'm not a total idiot

many thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.