Norton IS 2009 x64?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sandeep, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandeep

sandeep Registered Member

Hi everyone

Just a quick question, is there an available version of Norton Internet Security 2009 for Windows Vista 64 Bit.

I really like this security suite on my 32 bit laptop and want to know if I can install it properly as a 64 bit compatible suite.

Thanks

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it installs on 64bit vista but has limited feature set. it doesnt even have context menu scan support yet.

3. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

I use it with 64 bit, it works pretty good, without major issues. Context scan is an easy workaround (just add the scanner to shell:sendto). The bigger issue is that its behavioral SONAR component doesn't work in 64 bit. However, the thing to keep in mind there is a lot of that is due to the added security of 64 bit Vista preventing it from working -- Which also prevents a lot of malware as well.

4. sandeep

sandeep Registered Member

hmmm, so would you recommend installing it, i was thinking just to install the 64 bit kaspersky since it is more compatible.

5. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Actually kaspersky on vista is missing a lot of protection. On XP 64 it should be fine.

6. icr

icr Registered Member

I would recommend to use some free AV product temporarily and wait for NIS 2009 to have all the features for x64;) ;) ;)

7. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

No product is going to have the same feature set on 64-bit has they do on 32-bit. By locking down the kernel using PatchGuard, Microsoft has seen to that. Kaspersky too has a lot of HIPS-related features that are missing on 64-bit.

8. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

Any product that says its HIPS or behavioral protection that inspects the Vista kernel is 100% is lying. That's not the vendor's fault, that's Vista.

I'm not 100% sure that's a bad thing either, as I'd rather have the OS more secure in general.