Norton Internet Security, Antivirus and 360 Being Retired?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Raza0007, Sep 19, 2014.

1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

3. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I may have to go back to Norton. Kaspersky has been hideous.. Already have 2 infected machines (PUA's mostly), and that's with PUA detections on with Kaspersky. Norton kept every machine clean for 2 straight months.

This is unacceptable, and I miss Norton already. Ugh.. Any deals on Norton anywhere? I missed the Black Friday sales.

4. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Just a few months ago you were saying Norton was a "steal" at full price. Now you need a discount to buy it?!?! LOL

5. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

It's a steal at full price doesn't mean I am stupid, and won't discount shop. I fail to see your logic. Anyway, not sure I can get around my severe anxiety for Norton using almost no encryption for it's product updates, and other data transfers.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2459...dled-with-security-flaws-researcher-says.html

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Were you not the one who compared using Norton vs free AV as driving a BMW vs a Chevy? And insisted the 10 device coverage was a "STEAL" at full price. And that Norton would not be discounting anytime soon because this was a revolutionary product? If it is so amazing, just buy it!

You talk as if you know everything, and it is hilarious seeing your back track.

"$89 is cheap for 10 devices"

"and if you think they are going to go back to the deeply discounted model you are probably in for a surprise. "

"but there will always be cheap solutions for cheap people, and expensive solutions for those that demand the best. That's why we have BMW's and Ford Focus's in life."

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  7. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Again. Because I think something is a great deal, it doesn't mean I will not seek an 'even better' deal. I appreciate your (useless) research on this, but what's the point? I think Honda Accords are a steal for what you can get them for. But I still utilized Costco to get mine at near wholesale. It's called being smart, and it's not hypocritical. I'd never fault anyone for seeking better deals, regardless if something is already priced very competitively. Also because I drive BMW's, doesn't mean I don't wait for BMW's yearly sales! I am unsure why you are taking it so personally? I surely ain't. :argh:

Also, I can just open a webchat, and get 50% off directly from Norton. But again, I really cannot get over the lack of SSL on the traffic Norton is involved with. That's a huge problem in my opinion. If they fixed that, I'd probably switch back.

8. clocks

clocks Registered Member

The fact is, a few months ago you argued people should be more than willing to pay full price. You were over the top abrasive to a handful of people, even calling some people "cheap". And prior to trumpeting Norton , you will shilling Trend Micro full force.

BTW - why did you change your user name?

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Norton couldn't detect anything for months when the NY Times was hacked, you are now saying that Kaspersky also failed with 2 machines, it is obvious that any AV is unreliable when used as the first layer of defense...

10. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Once again.. NYT was the target of a direct, state sponsored attack with custom malware designed to penetrate their defenses. Every security researcher questioned, said any AV would have failed. Also, they were using Symantec 10.4.. 10.4 doesn't even have Aggressive Bloodhound/Sonar/Insight, and other settings... So..

FYI - For my network - AV is nested somewhere down to the 8th, 9th, maybe event 10th layer of defense...

Custom DNS, ZyXEL NGFW w/Full UTM, Untange in Transparent(AV-Lite+Adblocking), ASUS w/Trend, Win8X Hardening Tweaks, Kerish Doctor, Glary w/Malware Database Activated, Adguard w/Extra Malware Databases, and some other things, and down at the bottom sits Kaspersky w/PUA+PUP checkbox. Kaspersky as a traditional AV doesn't pass muster in my opinion in comparison to reputation/insight types of products, and given the already infected machines merely running Kaspersky for a couple of weeks...

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

PC Tools IS/SD was not updated/significantly developed for well over a year while Symantec prodded about what to do with the brand and consumer division. They laid off that team, the product remained in an unsupported situation for a while. Later, they just decided to discontinue it verbatim when there was no team left to continue development. So you can understand how it works.

12. 142395

142395 Guest

Though that was somewhat expected, I felt they should offer free upgrade license for PC Tools user, not just a bit of discount.
    It seems Symantec break what they bought.:(

13. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Given the lack of encryption of product updates, etc, does that alter your recommendation of NS? By the way "End Point Protection" was mentioned in the PCworld article not NS. Do the vulnerabilities extend to NS?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2459540/zeroday-flaws-found-in-symantecs-endpoint-protection.html

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  15. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Even if LiveUpdates for Norton Security are not encrypted, the update process may have high integrity, provided that the transmitted product updates are digitally signed.

Because Symantec purchased VeriSign’s identity and authentication business in 2010, it seems reasonable to assume that Norton Security would employ that technology to circumvent man-in-the-middle and other potential security risks. This article by Symantec states that a LiveUpdate operation can fail because the "digital signature of the package is damaged or missing," suggesting that a digital signature is used to establish the authenticity of product updates.

16. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Good to hear.

My son really misses Norton.. He got infected while he was running Kaspersky IS (w/PUA databases enabled), and is pretty angry. He said with Norton 2015 it would catch everything he tried to run, and disable all of the PUA's in things he installs. I pulled Kaspersky off his machine, and installed the new Forticlient Beta's (5.2.3, 5.2.2) and so far it's really doing a good job. With the enhanced PUA/PUP option in it, the Fortiguard Cloud Analyzer, and the new sandboxing, I am impressed so far.. Let's see where we are with it after 2 weeks. My son was infected after 8 days on Kaspersky, but was uninfected for 2 months prior under Norton, and THREE YEARS prior under ESET.

I have hit every link on CleanMX for the last 48 hours with Forticlient on a test machine, and it's done a very good job at blocking them.

17. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

What is the activation policy with Norton Security 2015. Does it activate when you buy it or during installation. The reason I am asking is because there is a special right now
    at Best Buy for $29.99, but I still have 6 month with my actual AV. Thanks :)

18. snippits

snippits Registered Member

I got it during Black Friday at Amazon, and it starts when it is installed and activated with Norton account, so no it did not activate the count down timer when I bought it.

19. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Why don't you try BJ's Wholesale club...... It looks like Costco does not have Norton at the moment. I would use a careful consideration as far as parking my BMW there..... You know how these wholesale clubs can be.... :D

20. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I really wish we had BJ's around here. :thumbd:

21. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Thanks for your feedback.
    I just saw it at Staples for $23.00,so maybe I will get one at that price...

22. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

How good is Norton Security 2015 with default settings? I dont feel confortable using agressive heuristics and sonar because I fear too many FPs and performance problems ...

23. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Haven't had any FP issues with aggressive personally. But it seems to function fine on default nevertheless, and apparently switches to aggressive if it detects a threat situation.

24. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I've had no problem with defaults and the FPs seem to be pretty low. I haven't had any yet.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

IIRC, Didn't someone mention earlier in the thread that the product would be better against PUAs if one used more aggressive settings?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.