Norton Internet Security, Antivirus and 360 Being Retired?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Raza0007, Sep 19, 2014.

1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

If true, this is very troubling. After needing years to improve their image, that was tainted heavily by the poor products from many years ago, it seems Norton is intent to start ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ people off again.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I wonder if the customer is always made aware of the fact that the license is activated at purchase? And once the license is activated can the software be returned (unopened within 15 days per Walmart policy)? I bet that once the license is activated it can't be deactivated. Given the potential for misunderstanding I have to wonder why they would do this? Walmart is not selling the software at a discount AFAICT, so I see no incentive for the customer to accept this arrangement.

4. snippits

snippits Registered Member

Until we get an official response, the activation might just unlock the license code and nothing else. That puts the stop to shop lifters taking razors and opening the box.

5. xxJackxx

Given their new policy of not allowing you to use old licenses moving forward, I suspect they are doing this to keep people from stockpiling licenses for multiple years. Then people can't complain in a year when the new product comes out because their license was expired anyway.

6. xxJackxx

I'm not advocating it, but piracy would be much easier and less risky than shoplifting it from WalMart. Doesn't seem likely to be the reason.

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I understand that you're saying the license may not start "ticking", but what does unlocking it mean?

8. snippits

Symantec will allow the key/code to be activated.

9. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

No I didn't buy it. I asked the Walmart employee at the electronics department if that barcode activated the software and did it start the clock ticking with the days in the license. She and another employee scanned the barcode and what came up on the register (I didn't see), they replied yes the clock starts ticking. I'm just reporting what took place at the store. I don't know if they were right or wrong. Since I am the OP on the Norton Forum, I'll ask for a Norton Employee to answer: Yes or No, does the clock start ticking at check out.
    https://community.norton.com/forums/wal-mart-and-norton-security-norton-security-bu

10. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Norton 2015 worked nicely on my daughters system, keeping it uninfected yesterday.

At some point yesterday I had my UTM's all down, and was doing straight modem to switch internet while I rebuilt my network. During this point my daughter downloaded a 'game loader' which was bundled with crapware. Norton let the loader slide, then hit everything it tried to load with heuristics. All I had to do was go and uninstall the harmless loader.

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

this is the way it has worked at best buy with most of their av's they sell for years now. they activate them at the register when you buy them. my cousin is a store manager ill ask him and get his take on this

12. ProTruckDriver

Tony from Norton Admin is working to get the official answer to this since there are mixed signals from different stores. Since this is Nortons product they should know in their sales department. We'll wait to see what Tonys official answer is for all stores. ;)
    https://community.norton.com/comment/6012891#comment-6012891

13. zfactor

as i said though i know for a fact when you buy an av from best buy it gets activated at the register. you can not leave with it not being activated. nortons included. again im not sure about other places though

14. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

If I buy the retail box version from Newegg that's on sale now, it shouldn't be activated at shipping should it? I've never seen this before, but don't want to take a chance that it's something new. I still have 94 days left on my NIS 2014 subscription, but thought I might want to take advantage of the sale. But I guess in 94 days there probably will be another sale, maybe with a better price?

15. zfactor

i am not sure to be honest. i will find out tomm for you.

16. Cloudcroft

Thanks!

17. xxJackxx

I guess with all of the complaining about the (non) upgrade policy, my question at this point would be how much does it matter yet? I just started burning my NIS 2014 (v21) license due to issues with what I had been using. Should I feel like I am missing something or since v21 is a stable and mature product and v22 was just released, am I better off for now to just use the v21?

18. zfactor

i am not fully 100% sure on this yet but from a source i know personally at newegg (who is talking with norton to be sure) said they do not come pre-activated. now the digital downloads may be another story and he is trying to find out for sure about those as well. ill post here when i know more.

19. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Man you sure have connections!

20. zfactor

been around this industry for over 26 years, made a lot of friends in that time.

21. wiwul

wiwul Registered Member

Below the "Norton Security 2015 v22 review " there is an elaborate reply from 'PC Security Channel' as to how he tested and his speed etc. Also that his method is about the same when testing other products and the previous version of Norton.

Anyway, I am not sure about renewing Norton.
    Maybe I should get back to Kaspersky and simply accept there zero support.

On the other hand Norton grants more licenses

Norton Security 2015 with Backup $89.99 1 year (10 devices, incl. 25GB online backup*)
    * "Automatically backs up 25 GB worth of photos, movies and files you choose from your PC to our secured online storage"

Norton Security 2015: $59.99 1 year (5 devices)

Kaspersky Internet Security 2015: $ 79.95 1 year (3 devices)
    Kaspersky Internet Security – Multi-Device: $ 99.95 1 year (5 devices)

22. Cloudcroft

Thanks for checking on this Zfactor.

23. ProTruckDriver

That would be interesting to see pre-activated downloads. Thank you zfactor.

24. wiwul

wiwul Registered Member

us.norton.com -> products+services at the bottom under "Important pricing terms, offer details and disclosures"
    Your product subscription begins upon initial installation and activation.
    I once had a chat with Norton about the start of the license: I was still using another product but already bought Norton.
    Thing was that I wanted to use the other product until expiry and then install Norton.
    Wasn't sure as to whether the product wud be activated on the day of purchase or rather, what I assumed, activated once connecting to the activation server.
    -

25. snippits

All I know is that Norton's on demand scan is pathetic, so there goes one layer of defense out the door with the trash. Before the fan boys go on the defensive, sure it has other layers of defense, but I don't put much faith in it when malware will just sit there doing whatever until Norton's cloud gets caught up detection wise and then remediation.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.