Norton Internet Security, Antivirus and 360 Being Retired?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Raza0007, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up about the updates. When the updating completes the build number changes to 22.0.1.14 It would be interesting to have a changelog.

I think the speed of the internet connection is an important issue in general for cloud based security solutions. The danger is the longer it takes for files to be classified as malware the more time they have to damage the system, and it may become more difficult to undo the changes. Most people probably don't know that broadband is typically asymmetrical and that their upload speed may be only a fraction of the download. It would be good for cloud based AVs to state broadband minimums.

I also do not see Symantec claiming to provide protection against ransomware that encrypts personal data. It seems to me that every effort must be made to stop these kinds of threats before they encrypt data since it may not be possible to decrypt it afterward - in other words there's no time for cloud analysis. I'm using HMPalert at the moment for its "CryptoGuard" feature (among other things).

I used to hate the Norton products because they were ineffective resource hogs. Since 2009 they have really improved in that respect - now if they could just fix the support...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Let's assume he does as a 2mb connection. Under 'optimal' conditions that's his download speed. What about upload as you point out they aren't symmetrical. Also at what efficiency is his running at, what about QOS, and other factors? Let's assume he throws a 100MB trojan at Norton how long to classify that on his ridiculously slow 265k upload speed? In his test he states 'Oh, it found more after awhile!' well of course, it had time to validate. But on HIS SETTINGS Norton will default to 'allow' if it cannot establish a file as bad locally, and cannot validate it in the cloud. (Aggressive would solve part of that) But without a stable, fast connection, and flooding it with malware he basically broke Norton. But that's so far out of normal parameters I don't consider it broken.

How many actual people out there will be tossing 2Gigs of Malware at Norton in 6 minutes? How many will have circa 1990's internet speeds? PC Security embarassed himself. We need to stop talking about it.. LOL!

3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Does Norton need to upload the full file, or just a hash?

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Good question. I suppose we could test this by monitoring bandwidth during threat evaluation. I think one of the documents stated how it did it, a hash evaluation, and I thought they said once it can't evaluate the hash it places it onto a virtual sandbox type of system and drops the file into the cloud for examination.. Someone that read all of those documents can probably clarify. But I think it's clear you need a good connection for full protection, and PC Security dropped the ball there. Ok so he 'browsed to google' to show us he had internet.. Let's see him open a youtube video @ 720p to prove his connection..

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

He did show Hitman Pro rapidly identifying/classifying the threats though and IIRC Hitman Pro uploads the files.

6. malexous

malexous Registered Member

As long as the files have never been uploaded by you or someone else.

7. malexous

http://community.norton.com/node/1029031

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Either way we have to account for Hitman Pro detecting running malware very quickly while Sonar appeared inactive. It is clear though how slow the connection is; at the 20 minute mark he opens a browser to prove that the computer is still connected and you can see how long it takes to bring up google.com. Anyway I wish there were professional tests that controlled for all of the variables so we wouldn't have to speculate.

9. 142395

142395 Guest

Norton only uploads the hash of executables.

10. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Beta-testers are being sent free licenses for one year;

SnapCrab_NoName_2014-10-10_23-5-21_No-00.png

11. controler

controler Guest

Blackcat

I can confirm that. First I got a e-mail for 5 Lic at 40%off. Now today Got an e-mail for 10 Lic at free for one year along with download link.
    Was your e-mail from Tony?
    Anyway like I said in the past they sent CDs with the new software to my home. I do understand not doing that anymore. The hoarder I am I still have an old War CD

Nice they still listen even though they are now splitting up into two trading companies.

12. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I might ask them how much it would cost to upgrade my fresh install of Norton 360?

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have 150 down/100 up connection speeds and i see basically no impact from norton slowing down network speeds. with a slower connection i would say it could have a larger impact but i still do not think it would be that large. honestly i think as far as making the overall program lighter they did a really good job.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  14. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Yes, from Tony Weiss :thumb:

15. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

You're welcome. :rolleyes:

16. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

I would assume NIS uses same DNS as Norton Connectsafe ?
    If so what addresses are they please.
    Thanks in advance :)

17. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

It depends on which filters you want to use. Here you can find IPs: https://dns.norton.com/configurePC.html

18. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Thanks @hqsec
    Just the job :thumb:

19. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Who is your connection through? I am unaware of a 150/100 connection for consumers in North America. Anyway there is no speed impact on Norton that I can see, and you can easily monitor your router if you have a decent one and verify. Also, I have 10 systems running Norton so the impact here could be huge, but it isn't. Norton is impressive in terms of how light it is in 2015.

20. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Norton saved the day in this home last night!

Starting about 2 months ago my ZyXEL started flagging malicious activity on my network. I never fully pinned it down to a particular machine, and since ZyXEL's UTM was blocking it I didn't spend any time isolating it. Later I changed to an ASUS RT-AC86 w/Trend DPS and I forgot about the issue. My son has been complaining for a month his machine wasn't running that great. So last week I installed Norton w/Backup on his system. Last night I examined the history on Norton and found massive 'High' alerts from Norton about suspicious activity from SVCHOST.EXE, Norton was blocking it, indicating SVCHOST was replaced by a malicious one.

I ran Power Eraser within Norton and it found (and cleaned) 9 threats on the system, deep ones, including a rootkit. I asked my son when he installed the offending products (Hearthstone addons or something), and he said 'A couple months ago'. Up until last week I had ESET on every machine, so it was ESET that let the offending threat through, and it was Norton that found it. Even though Norton fixed it I flattened the system and restored it. It's policy in this house that if you infect yourself you get wiped.

21. zfactor

we have both comcast and verizon who have these speeds (and actually higher. verizon offers a 500/100 here as well, and comcast also offers 505 down speeds with special equipment installed) im with verizon personally. also i may bump up to the next tier by year end.

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

We have 100 meg cable internet in Oklahoma through Fidelity cable.

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

If you don't mind sharing I'm curious if you use your network in a way that actually requires 150/100 pipe - multiple streaming HD movies?

24. malexous

I guess I should not install Norton Security for my parents.

Attached Files:

25. zfactor

lol. well with the kids in the house and them wanting to watch different movies in different rooms we tend to now stream a LOT of stuff. while i dont think i need the 150 speed its nice to have. they have now offered me to bump up to the next level for only a few bucks more so i may even do that to see if there is any advantage at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.