Norton Internet Security 2009

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by swisscoms, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icr

icr Registered Member

I too use NIS 2009 for while now & have bought 1 yr lic i have also tried
    KIS 2009 (have on my bros pc), BDTS 2009 and Avira out of them i would rate NIS , KIS as best two followed by Avira:D :D :D :D :D

2. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

I think Symantec knows about that:
    http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&message.id=9171#M9171
    Its a problem with the UI not updating properly.

3. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

4. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Care to offer any rationale for your ratings?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  5. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

NIS has almost the same detection rates as AVIRA.. but where AVIRA gets killed is with false positives. All told, NIS has better accuracy. NIS kills KIS in TPs and FPs. so no comparison there.

See http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2008_08.php

There is no point having good detection with "many" FPs.

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Eh, yaaaawn.... So - out of 1+ million samples - NIS had 12 FPs which is "few", while Avira had 17 FPs which is "many". Huh? KIS had 28 FPs, which is still "many", and GDATA had 62 FPs which is still "many". Wow, the rating can't get much more arbitrary and stupid really. :rolleyes:

7. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

A couple of things. Tests are certainly useful but they do not necessarily reflect real world results. For example, I have had Avira Premium on one PC for over a year with all settings on max and I have yet to see a false positive. My wife's laptop has had KIS 7 and now KIS 2009 again with no false positives. Also, we will have to wait a while to see how NIS does in the ProActive tests.

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

The thing is a lot of those programs that are flagged as false positives aren't installed on the average Joe's computer. In fact, I haven't even heard of most of them, let alone have them installed. (Obviously, if I had any of them installed now, they wouldn't be flagged as the AVs were told of them and since been fixed.)

The test results would be true if you had all these programs/modules so your point about the real world scenario stands true. :)

9. R3XNebular

R3XNebular Registered Member

Should I dump my free avira/comodo/sas for this? my Sas is about to run out

10. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

If you are satisfied with your current security applications, then there's no need to spend money for another application. If they're not doing the job for you, I recommend NIS 2009--it truly is one of the best security suites around.

11. R3XNebular

R3XNebular Registered Member

I've been using free software lately but if NIS is that good I will be purchasing it at the end of the 15 day trial :), yet I still feel as if it does not provide adequate protection

12. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Good advice. I bought the Norton license again for another option if I can't stand the browsing slowdowns a couple others have. It has good protection; as long as you aren't a really dangerous surfer where many non-ITW samples lurk you should be fine.

13. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Will NIS 2005 activation code work for the 2009 version?

I've read that some people are activating NIS 2009 with their old (unused) 2005 codes. Is this true?

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

correct. my friend used a norton 2003 boxed version with 2009.

15. Birdman

Sweet. Gonna try eBay for an unused older version. It's much cheaper than buying a new license from Symantec or New Egg.

16. Birdman

For those using NIS 2009, a couple of questions (just installed trial version today):

1) I currently have it set to the DEFAULT settings (turned scheduled scanning to "off" though). Will this work or do I have to make manual settings adjustments? If so, what is recommended?

2) My security set-up thus far consists of NIS 2009, WinPatrol Plus (paid version) and Ad Muncher. Is this fine (safe) or do I need to add another layer?

I've used this SAME set-up previously with KIS 2009. Will it also work well with Norton?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  17. Birdman

Also is there a way to DISABLE the "Identity Safe" feature? I couldn't see anything under settings in NIS 2009.

Thanks.

18. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Isnt that possible in the main GUI?

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

main window move slider to off.

20. Birdman

Thanks lodore. I can't believe I missed that, LOL. I was too busy looking in the "settings" window.

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no problem. first thing i turned off when i tryed the beta.

22. Birdman

Would you mind if I ask you what your impressions were of the Norton 2009 Beta version you tried?

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey, i dont mind.
    pros:
    major fast install around 40seconds and no reboot needed.
    light on system
    possible to disable modules you dont like.
    quite of alot of settings to change.
    decent self protection
    Cons:
    norton account wizard.
    not able to change settings on a limited user account.
    couldnt seem to find a way to turn off automatic blocking of malware by realtime guard. i want to be able to choose. i think you can decide for scans but not realtime.
    cannot uninstall unneeded modules only disable them.
    cannot close scan window without cancelling scan.

btw i cannot comment on uninstall since i just restored an image of C:
    thats all i think of atm.

no idea about detection but norton 2008 missed quite alot of spyware on my friends system.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  24. Birdman

I pretty much understand all the features and functions of NIS 2009 except for the Norton Insight. Each time I scan, it says that 89% of process files are "trusted" with 11% "scan needed."

However when I hit the REFRESH button, the same % comes up. When I close that window and open it up again, it shows as 100% scan needed and it proceeds to scan the files again.

Is there a way to mark all the process files as "trusted" so the next time I open Norton Insight, it shows everything at 100%?

25. hlc

hlc Registered Member

I think it's an automatic scanner so it's not necessary to manually click the button. Which means NIS has scanned these processes in background and put the trusted files to the trusted list, so when we manually click the Norton Insight, it just like to rescan the processes again, update the trusted list and show you a result.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.