Norton Identity safe for free till October 1st

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tomazyk, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I'll pass.....I prefer LastPass by a mile.....

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I used Norton Identity Safe briefly, before it became "web aware", and it was OK. It is more similar now to LastPass in that it saves encrypted data online so you can sync your passwords across multiple devices (they have smartphone apps). I don't believe they offer two-factor identification yet, which I feel is necessary for mobile devices, but perhaps that's coming. (two-factor identification is available in LastPass, but you have to subscribe to the premium version). Since this giveaway is a lifetime license it might be worth acquiring and saving.

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

if it's about 2 -factor identification.....KeePass offers 3 - factor identification.....user account....password......and a safe file which can be moved around in usb sticks......

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Not sure what you mean. An account name and password = single factor authentication. The addition of a USB stick is the second factor. I'm not aware of anyone offering a third factor, but perhaps we're defining things differently? By the way, LastPass recently added Google Authenticator as a second factor, which I find much easier than using a USB stick.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

does the safe web now work with chrome? also, can the toolbar be hidden?
    thanks

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I haven't tried it with Chrome, but Chrome is one of the supported browsers listed on the download page. Can't say if the toolbar can be hidden without disabling it.

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

KeePass offers a windows user account...like you have to choose a user account ...if you don't choose the right one....eg. choosing a standard account whereas it was actually set to be a different use account.....then you cannot access.....I think you get it now......and LastPass offers a second factor to free users also.....it says 'LastPass offers multifactor authentication as a Premium feature, but we also believe that everyone should be protected online, so we have created the Grid Multifactor Authentication as a feature available to both Premium and non-Premium users.'.....so for premium users of LastPass it's actually 3 factor authentication......

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Sorry, I missed the part where you were talking about KeePass. I haven't used KeePass for a long time so can't comment on it.

According to the LastPass website grid authentication and now Google Authenticator are available in the free LastPass. All the other options for two factor authentication are only available in LastPass Premium. In any case you only use one additional form of authentication along with account logon - that equals "two factor" authentication. To my knowledge LastPass does not offer an option to use more than two factors at the same time.

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Same here. I was hesitant to use LastPass to start with but it has worked flawlessly and the free version was sufficient. I only upgraded to the paid version because I wanted to support them. Norton needs to polish Identity Safe some more before it is in the same league as LastPass, if it ever gets there. I am not a Norton hater, there are just better options here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.