Norton Ghost

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by YODA, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YODA

YODA Registered Member

hey guys,

Just got Ghost today, I have a labtop and a desktop... but was wondering can i clone my labtop over to my desktop is that possible if the hard drive size is different? btw labtop hd is only 5gb and desktop is like 15gb....i know i will have to fix all the drivers but could it work?

YODA

2. Raygun

Raygun Registered Member

Yes it works! The drives do not need to be the same size, as long as you have a good connection between the two so that ghost can read both drives and room enough for the image/drive you want to copy over then it works.

Now that said if you can't get ghost to read both these drives at the same time due to how you hook your laptop to your desktop you still have another option. If you have the new ghost it boots up with drivers to burn and compress. That's right you could compress and burn your OS on to a CD and then use ghost on the other machine to read and write it...

3. YODA

YODA Registered Member

hey raygun,

How good is the compression on Ghost? Like how much can u get out of one CD disk if ur gona burn it on to it?

btw i got norton ghost 2002
    YODA

4. Raygun

Raygun Registered Member

yes I have ghost 2002 also. The compression is average as far as I know. I really didn't ever compare it. I certainly didn't see any huge increase in compression from say winrar, or winace, or ever backup utility that comes with windows. I mostly just found three things great about ghost:

One, it can copy bit for bit an OS partition to another drive that will boot as if it was that drive.

Two, it can compress and burn right on to CD with only a floppy boot ghost diskette.

Three, it can compress a partition or files that are bigger then a CD and will write those to CD and prompt you for the next CD. So size was never an issue as I just let it ask for the next CD.

5. controler

controler Guest

Um NO you do not want to try clone from a laptop to desktop or viseversa. You do NOT even want to clone from a desktop to a desktop if the two computers are NOT configured the same. By this I mean both computers must have the same hardware and software installed or you will run into problems.
    When you clone, you are keeping all the same software and hardware configurations from one drive to the next.

6. YODA

YODA Registered Member

Controler,

I think it can be done, because all u got to do after cloning it on to my desktop is to delete the current drivers(labtop), then install all the drivers for the desktop. I just wana clone my labtop to my desktop cuz my labtop heats up a lot, and my desktop is also faster.

btw... has ne one ever try this before, and how was it?

YODA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.