Norton Firewall 2003 and opera browser

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ghodgson, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

A tale of woe!, info for those with NIS and thinking about Opera browser. Pc's are great when they work but when they go wrong ........................
    My pC has XP SP1 & 512MB ram/80GB HD. NIS 2003 and Avast home.
    As stated above I DID have NIS 2003 installed on my PC, which I did like. My browser was always IE6 fully patched, reinforced with Spyware blaster & the Immunisation feature in Spybot. I decided to try another browser and opted for Opera. After installation it ran beautifully :) , much quicker than IE6 and obviously more secure and I like it. The problems started when I tried to go to a secure https site, and I kept getting error messages. Having tried various secure sites and got the same messages it was obviously a fault on my pC. I then tried the same secure sites [which were ok prior to Opera] with my IE6 browser and got the same errors. So Somehow on Opera installation things had gone awfully wrong. :'( I thought my internet settings were compromised, so I uninstalled Opera and did a system restore to find everything was still just the same.... ie. couldnt access secure sites.
    So after 9 hours on the PC :oops: , it became apparent it was Norton firewall that was at fault,-- there must have been some conflict between it and Opera browser on my PC, and a problem which i couldnt fix so NIS was uninstalled.
    I installed Kerio 4 firewall & set it up- rules based with a final block rule, and everything was back to normal !! :D So I saved a restore point and reinstalled Opera--now I can access secure sites with Opera and IE6--all problems solved- and so far so good.
    One thing puzzles me though, in both NIS and Kerio-- neither asked me for internet access for IE6 or Opera applications ??-- but they do have access. SO I started logging the Avast webscanner [which had asked for internet permission in NIS and Kerio], and that logged all net activity, so Am I right in thinking all internet access is somehow routed through the Avast web scanner, hence neither IE6 or Opera has prompted reaction from the firewall? Anybody any ideas? I suppose I could disable Avast's webscanner and see if that initiates a response.

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Check your internet explorer >tools>internet options>connections>lan settings>advanced..you will probably see avasts portsettings in there ,as it acts as a transparent web proxy.
    ellison

3. ghodgson

Thanks Ellison, I checked what you said but there were no lan settings as you suggested-- just "automatically detect settings". However, I think you have hit the nail on the head about Avast being the transparent web proxy. I think I also answered my own question. In kerio I denied net access for Avasts webscanner and afterwards neither IE6 or Opera could access the internet. So that must be why IE6 and Opera dont initiate a response in my firewall-just Avasts webscanner.
    Interesting to know.

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

5. ghodgson

Thanks Ellison :thumb:

6. ghodgson

I have it sussed now. In Kerio 4 when you ask for trusted applications [starting other applications] to alert the user, and when IE6 and Opera are started the firewall asks for outgoing permission for both on port 12080,-- that is Avasts webscanning port for the transparent proxy.
    Likewise with the mailscanning proxy on port 12110 and outlook express, mailwasher etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.