Norton Corporate 7 verion.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by swisscoms, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

Hello everyone, I noticed the Symantec (Norton) Corporate Edition won another award in Virus Bulletin. Has anyone here tried this version, and do they like it?.......regards, Peter.

2. wizard

wizard Registered Member

You might want to read the following topic which discusses some background on this month virus bulettin test.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=1146

About av software for corporate business I can not say anything because the decision for corporate av software is different to home users. You need to think about costs, networks, update strategies, etc. It is not the detection rate only which counts.

wizard

3. rodf

rodf Guest

Q. Why do you buy antivirus software ?

A. To detect viruses!

What's the point of having the prettiest antivirus program in the world sitting on your screen if its ability to detect viruses is second rate ?

Continually up-to-date virus detection is (or should be) what you pay for!

Everything else is secondary!

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

DITTO rodf

Personally I hate Nortons. I'd suggest you do a LOT of researching/reading/reviews from LOTS of places before deciding mate.

Nortons is 'the best' because they have the name branding for ages, so people automatically think so. I do NOT THINK SO personally, and that is IMOH.

If you dig deeper, Nortons has a lot of serious issues. Bloated, SLOOOOOW, and misses a hell of a lot.

Have a look at NOD32. It is the only AV out there that HAS NOT MISSED A SINGLE ITW virus since its inception in 1998 I think.

www.eset.com

That's just my opinion, but also it is the opinion of a lot of other people in the know from a lot of the security forums I ventre into.

5. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I too will endorse NOD32. Its updates are generally faster than norton. It scans faster than any 32bit scanner and it doesn't miss anything (that I have seen)

In corporate versions of AV, definitions are indeed important. If you think that the network install/update/upgrade time of guys with degrees in computer science is free, then indeed definitions may be all that is important. if you believe they get paid, then you may need to revisit your argument.

6. netsonic

netsonic Registered Member

I used to run NAV CE( Norton Corporation Edition---client) on my PC.
    I think it is as same as NAV Personal Edition in many ways---virus base, scan velocity, email monitor and so on.

NAV CE hasn't 1 year limitation to update virus base.

7. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Tell this the finance department. ;)

wizard

8. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

Thank you everyone for your input on this topic. I greatly appreciate it. Regards, Peter. ;)

9. controler

controler Guest

Norton has weekley autoupdates or by clicking on the
    update ICON but Norton does have uptodate manual
    updates, which I use. USA link below. Yes the updates are for one year
    unless you just uninstall it and reinstall. I have not tried NOD 32 yet
    but was wondering if it has e-mail protection?
    Yes Norton has been around since the early 80's but his software covers a much wider field than just antivirus. All the oldtimers remember this. So maybe ther is some sentimental reasons for whom we choose?
    Also look at the file repairing rate. I can say Norton was the first to quarantine Guess I bettet take a look at NOD 32.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html

10. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

NOD 32 has an on demand scanner, a resident scanner and an email scanner. It can be secured from shutdown via password, and also catches some common trojans. If can auto check for updates as often as you like and they provide updates quickly. I have yet to see NOD32 miss a virus. The virus bulletin gives good reviews as well.

That is all run of the mill, we wouldn't expect any less but NOD32 shines in scan time. With the main scan engine written in assembly, it is capable of very fast scanning. It is SOOOO much faster than NAV, you wonder if NAV was written in VBscript lol. NOD32 is undeniably the fastest 32bit scanner available at any price (that I am aware of). The first time I used it I thought something was wrong because it was finished so fast, even with all the settings to maximum. What used to take an hour now took 10 minutes. I was scanning over 100,000 files (50GB) in 13 minutes. Unbeleivable. Obviously system specs play a big part here. I used a PIII800@960, 512 ECC CAS 2 Corsair SDRAM, twin 30 GB 7200rpm UDMA 100 Mator drives on RAID 0 (stripping).

11. controler

controler Guest

Sounds good and can't beat assembly programming for speed ;)

SHHHHHHHH don't speak of VBasci like that or you will be on Jooske's spanking list :D

12. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I have been a professional VBscript and VBA coder in the past. There are good reasons to use these. I just don't think speed sensitive applications should be written in VB because it is very slow. Obviously VBscript is way slower than VB (I am not insinuating NAV is written in either, just that it seems that way speed wise) .

So, VB style languages have there uses (after all where else would we get macro viruses from? AV companies would be out of work without VBscript and VBA!) I could write an totally undetectable virus in VBA in about 10 minutes. What AV company would truely wish that this wasn't so? But I digress.

VB is great as long as you don't need to count clock cycles.

13. controler

controler Guest

Undetectable? Even by TDS-3?
    One that is self running ?
    Macro?

14. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

yes, it is unlikely any heuristics could catch it. It would have to be executed by the user do anything. After its submission and addition to the defs, it would then be detected. Then I could write another. This is what most AV want. Keeps ya paying for defs. This is not rocket science, any Anti - malware app developer knows this. I am no pro virus writer, mine wouldn't have all that base64 encoding stuff, just your run of the mill poison.

For the record: I have never written or released any virus/worm/trojan, nor do I intend to. Just stating that I could. Big deal, anybody could with a weekend of tutorials.

I did find a nifty little place that kinda fits in the grey area between a script and an executable; not really either. It doesn't apply to every machine, only certain computers could be affected. I have it under good authority that protection against it will appear sooner or later. Don't ask.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.