Norton Antivirus will not scan

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by saliva, Mar 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saliva

saliva Guest

For the first two days since the NAV 2004 was installed, I was able to scan without a glitch -- but now nothing happens (same applies to the right-click > "Scan with Norton Antivirus"). However, although nothing happens, you can see that navw32.exe appears in the Task Manager each time the scan has been initiated. Another weird thing is that in the temp folder, so-called scan file(s) accumulate (with a name, scan0, scan1,scan2...). Hence, it seems like the navw32.exe is triggered, but somehow gets stalled in the process. I wasn't able to come up with a solution after having Googled on this problem. Has anyone experienced the same fate? Might I add that I have reinstalled NAV 2004, but the problem remains.

2. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Almost 5 hours and no one has replied. I can't help you, but I'll bump this back to the top. Surely someone will be along soon that can help you solve your problem. Good luck.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

What I'd try is an uninstall followed by a run through of the manual uninstall procedure (do a search for related topics at the Symantec website). Make sure that the system is absolutely NAV 2004 clean and that Windows Scripting host has been reinstalled without error A simple uninstall and reinstall can fail if some of the parts left behind are munged. A complete manual treatment should help in this case.

Blue

4. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

I would try uninstalling again but afterwards search for NORTON, SYMANTEC & LIVE UPDATE and delete everything that's left behind. Then run a good reg cleaner like regseeker before reinstalling NAV.

5. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

Beat me to it Blue ;)

6. saliva

saliva Guest

Thx for the reply. Since the last post, I found another twist that might bring some insight to this problem. When in safe-mode, the scanner module becomes visible when the scan is initiated. This would mean then that it's a compatibility issue, although I have no idea with which particular program. As per manually uninstalling NAV, I have considered that option but weighed against it since it is part of the SystemWorks 2004 (& the lengthy instruction provided a la Symantec.com is not so appetizing to my palate). I figure it would be easier, let alone time-saving, to just restore the harddisk via Norton Ghost. But I'm curious as to what's causing the conflict. Any lead would be appreciated.

7. saliva

saliva Guest

it's almost embarrasing that I'm answering my own question (but,hey, who thought that can't be done...) Anyhow, the real culprit was Java. Once I removed the app, the NAV scanner became visible once again. But the irony is that before I had reformatted the harddisk, NAV and Java got along fine. I'm not sure what's causing one to kick up so much dirt in the face of another. But then again, what more can you expect from Norton?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.