Norton Antivirus 2009 and Norton Internet Securithy 2009 final versons released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cloudcroft, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denniz

denniz Registered Member

From my own experience I can confirm that your NIS2008 license will work on NIS2009. And to take it even a bit further... as far as I know all unactivated licenses (that means those licenses that have NEVER been used) of previous NIS versions will work on your NIS2009.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no but my friend used a 2003 boxed license in nis2008 and will soon put it in nis2009.

3. smack

smack Registered Member

Yes, only for 32-bit XP or Vista.

4. smack

smack Registered Member

Yes, it will work. As long as you have an active subscription, you can upgrade (i.e, install) to any newer year version on top and it will (should ;) ) pick up and re-use your current subscription.

Norton Account is great for this, since you can use it to store all your keys -- never have to worry about losing them ever again, even if you wipe your systems.

5. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

I have been a member here for a number of years, and keep in the background. However I want to share my experience with everyone about this new product.

We have been looking for a serious Internet Security program for our R&D facility here for months now. Many promised excellent performance and features. However, we found spyyare and slow website browsing to occur on many we tried. I was quite hesitant trying the new Norton 2009 application as previous versions were huge in size, and slowed even the fastest PCs down.
    However, I am more than happy with this version. Norton have really hit the jackpot this time. It is remarkably fast at scanning and web surfing. The footprint is very small, and takes up little RAM. Protection against viruses and malware appears to be superb. I can only suggest to readers to give it a try. You may well end up purchasing it online. I sure did, and we couldn't be happier.

To coin an old TV advertisment, "This is not the Norton your Father used to use". :)

6. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I installed Nav 2009 after reading the good reviews from this forum. The install went well & did not require a reboot. My laptop ran very well with this A/V until a reboot later. After a reboot I had no network connection. My wireless would not find a signal & my local area network was not available. I had no network address! I had to uninstall the program & all was well. I'm not sure what that was all about. I have tried many A/V's & never had this problem, to bad because it looked promising. I do have a couple of questions.

1) Is their any way to see what files have been scanned in realtime? Most A/V's will show this. My G Data shows what was scanned by e-mail, Web scanner & realtime. That way I know it is working (I need to see it to believe it)

2) Does it have a http scanner?

7. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

To answer your second question: NIS has a phising filter installed, and it looks at the traffic of your browser.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

plus dont forget websafe that blocks dangerous websites.
    its an optional install but worth it. think it only works with IE thou=(
    didnt check firefox.

9. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Works with firefox too ;)

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

good hopfully it will eventually work with opera lol.
    kinda pushing it thou since opera hasnt really got a big market share.

11. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

I don't understand how Norton 2009 got such a low rating on CNet. o_O
    Is there a group of Norton bashers always waiting to rate the newest version 1 star without trying it? :argh:

12. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

The reviews look fine to me both from Cnet Editor &the users.From 6 users when i write this only one is bad.Looks after reading people comments on here that this year they've got a winner.

13. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

Only 2 out of 140 people that rated Norton actually wrote a review, the reviews are positive, but it appears the majority of the 140 users gave it a generally negative rating: http://www.download.com/Norton-Internet-Security/3000-8022_4-10592551.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10883662

14. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

PCMag gave NIS a nice review.

15. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Yes you are right.They probably didn't test the 2009 yet and probably are frustarted users of previous 2005-2007 versions.
    It will take a while for Norton to regain their confidence,even if Symantec affords to lose users.

16. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

NIS 2009 is showing 4 out of 5 at the moment from readers on CNET. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  17. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Maybe Symantec needs to have a "Mojave Experiment" with a bunch of Norton bashers :D

18. TaInTeD_SnIpEr

TaInTeD_SnIpEr Registered Member

Symantec definitely have a winner this year.
    Great product, very fast.

19. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'm glad it installs faster and updates more. It still hasn't convinced me enough to use it (and I've already spent for security this year,) but at least the market leader is improving.

20. Halo326

Halo326 Registered Member

I uninstalled Comodo and Avira and installed NIS 2009. My pc has never run smoother or faster. KIS 09 slowed my pc to a crawl. I am loving NIS 2009 but it lets you download some of the eicar tests on the top. I dont think there is a web shield. Also I was thinking of installing TF cause I am not sure about the HIPS in NIS. Any comments?

21. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

Norton Anti-Bot would be a good addition to NIS, if you feel you need extra protection. :p Otherwise, I think NIS is fine by it's self.

22. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Per my Screen shot a page or 2 back it is detecting Eicar just fine even pops up a nice little message.. maybe your settings are wacko ?

23. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I was prompted to uninstall Norton Antibot before I could install NIS 2009, which has similar capabilities to NAB. I believe you can reinstall NAB after installing NIS 2009, but I don't think I'm going to, with the idea that it would be redundant.

24. Halo326

Halo326 Registered Member

I get an alert for the eicar.com test but not for the zips. All settings are stock. Does anyone think TF or GesWall would be good with NIS? I was using Sandboxie before but I also unisntalled that along with Comodo and Avira. I downloaded the System Shutdown Simulator and NIS didnt give me an alert for the HIPS test.

25. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Try executing it. it still stops it plain and simple HTTP scanner for those kinds of things really is not useful as the simple fact is as soon as it try's to run it will be stopped in its tracks. no point in sweating over a HTTP scanner unless you just like the extra pop up. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.