Norton Antivirus 2007 Beta [impressions]

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dan_maran, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I also do not see what is free about NAV 2007. Please explain.

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Download and install the trial, when prompted enter you current license key.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its no completely good because nod32 have been doing that for years.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I just found this Symantec blog from a link at DSLreports about upgrades...

Link

5. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

6. ajgarvin

ajgarvin Registered Member

It's been quite a while since Graystoke posted the statement above and my comment/question is about the released versions, but he essentially took the words right out of my mouth.
    I too had disabled the so-called "Norton Protection Center" in the 2006 version. It didn't provide any protection anyway; it was just a notification interface (and an incredibly annoying one at that). I won't go into what a more accurate name for it would have been because there are probably rules against using some of those words.

I'd heard that NAV2007 and NIS2007 had been streamlined from the previous versions (thank god). So I kind of expected that any streamlining in the form of turning off features it was possible for the user to do in 2006 would still be possible in 2007. Has anyone figured out a way to turn off the 2007 Norton Protection Center?

7. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Norton Internet Security Add-on Pack: Learn More
    Can you not do it in Windows?

8. ajgarvin

Perhaps you thought my comment about it being streamlined was a complaint. I'm much happier with the stripped down version, but it's good to know about the Add-on Pack. Thanks.

(I presume this means you're on some other platform on which NAV/NIS runs, which probably means Mac.)
    I'm not saying it can't be done in Windows, just that I don't know how to do it. I knew how to shut it off in the 2006 versions; I'd sure like to know how in the 2007 versions.

9. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I hope not, that interface looks like .... And what's with that big no good green circle thingy?

10. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Not at all.
    Thinking about it you didnt have to install parental controls, spam etc before though <custom install>

I'm wondering if the Ad blocking can be installed only from the add-on pack as this would be useful.
    Only occasionally use Mac OS, 40% Linux, 40% Windows, 18% Other (Menuetos, ReactOS, eyeOS, SkyOS, Tabos, SkyOS...) 2% Mac:)

Okay so I presume NPCenter has not got a service to stop now.

11. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

NAV 2007.2
    Open the NPC , click the 'options' in the upper right corner of main page.
    Then click 'advanced' uncheck the options, now NAV will go 'green' and ignore any settings in the Windows PCC

12. ajgarvin

There's no longer a Service that's so identifiably responsible for NPCenter.

I'm confused by two things:
    First, I'm trying to determine whether you and I are looking at the same thing. For me, NPC's "main page" is one of two giant tabs on a window (the other is NIS). At the base of the NPC tab are the words "Here is your current PC status". Just to the right of those words is the word Options, which is clickable. When I click Options, I get a new window with General Settings and Advanced Settings.

The general settings (check boxes) are
    • Show protection status on Windows Taskbar.
    • Show messages from Windows Security Center.
    For me, there's only one advanced setting, which is
    • Show Windows Automatic Update Alerts.
    I've got all three boxes unchecked and I still have the NPC icon on the taskbar and, if NPC thinks it's time for me to feed it or change its diaper, it sprouts an exclamation mark. I know I can tell Windows to "always hide" the NPC taskbar icon (and I've done that). But if there's a process burning CPU cycles just go support that icon, I'd rather be able to disable it than just hide it.

The second thing I'm confused about -- I'm probably being completely dense -- is what PCC in "Windows PCC" stands for!?

13. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

its pretty good if you have a look at the latest version 2007.2

14. sarment

sarment Registered Member

It appears (from reading here and my own experience with NPC 2007) that you can ask NPC to NOT watch for the windows update (don't check the "show windows automatic update alerts"), but you cannot get it to go completely away (no service to disable like in 2006) or even go green if you turn off portions of the protection that you do not want.

Has anyone found a way to disable the entire NPC 2007 OR have it ignore the things you want it to ignore?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.