Norton 360 2013 / Norton Internet Security 2013 / Norton AntiVirus 2013 Public Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by malexous, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Just installed latest Beta version of NIS 2013 and I'm very impressed thus far. Very light and fast and I'm liking the new gui interface. :thumb:

Also I'm no longer getting "shockwave player" crashes with NIS 2013 as I did with NIS 2012. Whenever I would watch a video upon cold start of ANY browser, the flash player would lock-up and crash for about 30 seconds.

Removing NIS 2012 and installing NIS 2013 Beta did the trick. Playing videos now work perfectly.

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

As long as I can easily understand it, I don't care if it is not the equal of a Monet painting. We don't have much to complain about do we!

Jerry

3. malexous

malexous Registered Member

New Features for Norton 360, Norton Internet Security, and Norton AntiVirus

Some of the other changes I have noticed are:

removal of the Activity Map (the most exciting change! hopefully it will not be there in the final version),
    Browser Protection includes support for Google Chrome.

The most disappointing one is in the most recent build. It does not appear possible to use Identity Safe locally anymore.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  4. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

I cannot understand how some flashing pixels representing faraway countries could affect my security level.

It might look great when you take a screenshot (make the GUI looks kind of professional), or when you're bored enough to decide to have a look at global threat status (I'd rather read some useful security articles).

For PCs with slow connection updating the map would be pain, they should have made it disableable at least.

Finally, you're doing it the right way Norton :D

5. malexous

Scam Insight working as (I assume) intended.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  6. rinem

rinem Registered Member

Yes same here. Its like having nothing installed at all. No slowdowns while browsing, no system lag, applications start ultra fast.
    I think the 2013 version is the best till now from Norton.
    I'm using Win8 CP and the NAV2013 Beta.

7. DX2

DX2 Guest

Nice review done on it...

--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1SZ1tXPl54&feature=g-all-u

8. malexous

9. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

10. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

11. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi rinem :)

I recently bought N360 2012 version, and this is exactly what I am experiencing with it. Little to no system lag, extremely resource friendly, even after it runs a quick scan, it does not retain the memory, frees it up quickly.

So far it honestly is the best performing AV I have used in a very long time, and no question, the most well managed AV I have ever used. That says a lot coming from me in regards to a norton product, their improvement in my opinion is the best among security related companies. If I did not actually see the tray icon, I would not know any AV was installed. I also agree with the comments about the activity map, I could do without that. First time I saw it I thought, oh come on...LOL, but not a big deal.

I like that, plus it is very quiet, even in its alerts, small window letting you know the status of a file. Kudos to Symantec, after all these years of bloat and a real system hog in general, remarkable performance so far.

12. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i agree running Norton IS 2012 and its running like a champ.

13. Jim1cor13

Good to hear Brocke :) I have not tried the 2012 NIS, but have certainly read that most users find it also to be well managed and light.

After running N360, I am done testing AV's at least for awhile LOL At this time, comparing performance to the other "big boys" in the security realm, Norton appears well advanced in both performance and system protection, without the 'drama'. This is what sold me on at least N360, quiet, fast and respectful of system resources.

14. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Jim,

Can you elaborate on 'drama'. And who are the dramatists ?

15. Jim1cor13

Hi qakbot :)

The 'drama' part at least for me, are those applications that often use excessive alarm bells and whistles for even the most benign events of daily computing in regards to AV software. Some could be viewed as more scare tactics than relevant information. Those that utilize such practices within their respective software contribute to the 'drama' affect that can often alarm users needlessly, such as how a response is generated and in what manner it is reported. Some do not mind this kind of constant interactivity, and that is fine.

Personally I prefer a quiet solution, well managed that alerts you only to real threats or intrusions to the best of its ability, while doing so in a manner that is not so dramatic or interruptive, but has a more mild mannered yet precise handling of those threats. I guess what I am saying simply is, a solution that does not need to cause adrenalin rushes in the user several times a day just to let them know it is active and doing its job.

A more dramatic solution may be valuable for the average user, but I have failed to see the overall benefit of scaring the crap out of users, when what most need is an effective solution that takes the path of quiet confidence rather than in many cases in my tests, exaggerated dramatic responses that can be more confusing than purposeful.

We all choose the features we look for, some like the more dramatic or noisy approach, others like a more controlled and well tempered and managed solution. Personally speaking, I like the less dramatic approach to computer security, that has good reporting, but alerts only for those things that actually require ones attention. I want to be notified of a real threat, certainly, but have no need to be badgered by every minor event that occurs in daily computing, that is clearly not a threat situation.

Just personal preference. I guess it is the difference between a small alert window letting you know something of importance, communicated clearly, in comparison to a full screen alarm making one think something horrible has occurred. Many companies have improved in the area of how they manage threats, while others still use the shock approach.

Maybe both methods have their place, i simply prefer a less 'dramatic' solution, yet effective coverage of what matters.

Have a good day! :)
    Jim

16. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Thanks. I miss the pig squealing sound. Anyone remember that. Guess which product ?

17. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I've tried Norton AV a few weeks. It's very light and fast. After reading posts here I'm inclined to trying out NIS and 360 soon. :)

18. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

People still complain about this, but the map only used a small amount of XML data. Some of the posts in this thread contain more text than the map used. In any case I doubt anyone will miss it. The screen space could be put to better use.

19. Jim1cor13

Hahahahaha! I remember that qakbot! First thought was AVG?...a long time ago but not sure of that. Did AVG take over I think "Innoculate it" also? I can still recall both the squeal AND the little window with a bug showing...maybe Quickheal? In any case, I laughed out loud when I read this. Great reminder.

Thanks for the giggle my friend :) That pig squeal was too funny.

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I never had a problem with the threat map, but it always seemed irrelevant to me. By the way, have you tried the 2013 NIS beta, and if so how does it compare to the current 2012 product? I switched to WSA a while back when NIS failed against the zero-access rootkit (and more importantly when the Symantec support people in the forum ignored my questions about it), but I've liked NIS and hopefully they continue to improve it.

21. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Deliverance with Burt Reynolds and John Voight wasnt it? :p

22. Jim1cor13

That was priceless ellison...HAHAHAHAHAHA! "Deliverance" antivirus...'we offer
    100% protection against the nastiest bugs, and you will hear them squeal as we deliver your system.' Developed by Burt, Ned, and John...

LOL

23. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Hmmm..
    Just installed the beta ,and cant see any difference to 2012 apart from the rubbish gui.Ive googled a little to see what exactly is better in the 2013 version and there seems very little to write home about.2012 version was already great ,this version seems much ado about nothing ..imo.

24. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I have tried it and it seemed a little rough. It has been a couple or 3 weeks since I have used it and there has been another update since then. I have a 3 user license good for about 10 more months so I will likely revisit the final. I think it does look promising. The 2012 is fairly polished at this point so if I were to install either on a machine I used regularly it would still be the 2012 version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.