Norton 360 2.0 public beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by s4u, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I was just going by what Security Center said. As someone mentioned here once (Diver I think) it appears to filter inbound only.

Anyway, I took SEP off. While it may be ok for business use it was a little heavy for my tastes. I also kept hearing my HD thrash around the whole time even when the computer was idle. Unfortunately I ran into problems uninstalling SEP when it froze during the process. SymNRT could not help because it is not made for SEP so I had to do a system restore. Once I recovered I did not find any traces of it left, whew!

So I am back to OneCare which runs so light you don't think you are running any kind of protection (kind of scary in a way, lol). I will use Vista's Backup instead of OC's and install Roboform to replace Identity Safe's auto-login and form fill features.

I might try 360 2.0 again when it goes final.

BTW, there was one other annoyance with 360: In IE7 my favicons got screwed up. Wilder's "check mark" was replaced by a geeky looking face, lol. Now all is back to normal.

2. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I thought this was a Norton 360 2.0 Beta Thread.

Fyi, Windows One Care 2.0 did not do well on any of our machines. Failed several of our tests. Main problem was that it did not load properly 50% of the time.

3. midway40

You are right, BB. I am sorry I went OT.

Has anyone else had the problems I have described with 2.0 running in Vista?

4. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Yes, we got feedback from clients and their clients about the issue. We only tested it ourselves on XP Pro.

5. midway40

Good to hear that it isn't just my machine. It did that before the reinstall and after the reinstall on a clean system so I knew it wasn't on my end.

Once they get these bugs out Norton 360 will be great :). I wish they would do to NIS whatever they did to 360 to improve it. I guess it will be applied to NIS '09.

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Since folks are quoting me...

Its not exactly clear what the SEP 11 firewall is doing. Perhaps some long time Sygate users can fill us in. It seems by default all apps are allowed outbound. However, thre may be signatures to prevent some malware from communicating. My opinion is SEP 11 needs a lot of work. The firewall causes 4% CPU usage at idle. It broke parts of power management on my notebook. Enterprise users report massive network crashes.

However, these reports on 360 are encouraging.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Diver, as I remember from my own experience with Sygate Pro a few years back, it always seemed to eat 3-4% cpu even at an idle... So it would appear that things haven't changed....

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

It's that sort of input that is needed to demystify the SEP 11 firewall. I simply don't have enough prior experience with Sygate. 4% CPU usage is a problem as I run on batteries a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.