Norton 2011 BETA started

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 3GUSER, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm currently running NIS 2010, but the 120 key for the new beta caught my eye. I'm interested to hear how functional this latest build is.

2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

The 120-day key suggests that the anticipated release date for Norton Internet Security 2011 will be September 30th, 2010.

The purpose of using multiple short-duration keys during the beta test period, as I understand, is to test the subscription renewal functionality of the product. Apparently, Symantec has high confidence that it now works satisfactorily.

3. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

It has only been out for a day and these appear to be the only issues reported so far in the forum:

ZA FF/Build 128 issue
    NIS Beta Installer Issue/Error

Take heed:

4. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

5. icr

icr Registered Member

6. ALiasEX

Installed last night.

Smart Definitions are turned off by default yet Norton recommends you turn them on. Edit: More information below.

I have it turned on, what about everyone else?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  7. icr

icr Registered Member

Mine is off;)

8. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Norton does not recommend to turn them ON nor they recommend to keep them OFF . It is up to you . Smart Definitions is an option to make the program lighter , made especially for old or slow computers . Norton 2011 is by default extremely light , smart defitions will make it lighter .

I suspect that detection for threats that are not seen any more are removed in the Smart definitions but you shouldn't be worried because Insight and SONAR will be ON .

If your computer is not that slow or old , keep the default settings - a.k.a. Smart defitinionts disabled and Intelligent Updaters enabled.

9. ALiasEX

Thanks, 3GUSER.

I misread: "Keep this feature off only if you have a specific need." in the help file.

10. icr

icr Registered Member

I am facing one issue, Norton takes really long time to process the threats. I tested norton against some ~200 odd samples and it took like 15-20 Min to just detect and remove them. I have been facing this problem from 2010 product. Can anyone conform this:doubt:

11. vojta

vojta Registered Member

4-6 seconds per threat?. I don't see a problem there if the cleaning is good.

12. yaslaw

yaslaw Registered Member

I can confirm. There is a huge delay during processing of infected files :(
    On the other hand it seems that norton improved its cleaning ability and its able to undo all changes to registry made by unknown malware.

13. icr

icr Registered Member

Hmmmm not 4-6 Sec.......200 Samples takes 20 Min to clean
    So 1 Sample takes (20 Min*60 Sec)/200 Samples = 60 Sec

Actually its not just one min norton even takes about 4-5 Min for removal of even single malware:'(

14. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

What do you mean ? Can you explain in details.
    It is just a second for me if I extract an archive with threat or download a threat. What exactly is your problem with Norton?

15. icr

icr Registered Member

Actually I might not have specified my question properly:oops:

Consider this threat it was detected by norton as soon as I started to download but I disabled norton, downloaded the file and scanned with norton again and this time it took like 5 min to just process the files and even after processing it demanded to restart my computer. This file wasn't executed at all.

Attached Files:

16. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Although 5 minutues is too long , this is happening because you are performing scan which include Insight Network scan . The products connects to the cloud to seeks for complete detection/removal information

You might want to report this to Norton team.

17. icr

icr Registered Member

I even tried turning it off and then scanning again but it was almost the same time:cautious:

This was the problem I even faced in 2010 version too. I even posted earlier in 2010 thread but I didn't find any reply:cautious:

And one thing I don't understand is why norton demands for restart even though the file is not even executed:doubt:

18. vojta

vojta Registered Member

= 6 Sec.

1 sample in 60 Sec (1 minute) would be 200 minutes for 200 samples.

Anyway, it could be connecting with symantec even if you got "Insight" off. This might be what is slowing down the process.

19. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Actually, it is all relative to the complexity of the malware and the depth of the infection. Where one infection could take let's say 2 seconds to remove, others might take more. In that sense it may not always be 60 seconds per malware sample removal.

Thanks.

20. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

I am not sure whether it was executed or not. But what i want to say that "Its probably Norton's prediction on this file"...I mean to say that Norton told you that this file may infect these files and registries if it get executed. Because long ago, i have faced the same problem when i inserted an infected USB drive on my system, where Autorun was completely disabled...But still Norton told me that X file tried to infect 52 files and 73 registry files...Even he repaired all those infected registries automatically. But at that time i was 100% sure that nothing was executed, but still i haven't understood what went wrong? o_O

21. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Just like in icr's case , Norton connects to the Insight for more information and gathers information from Symantec and user knowledge where the particular threat was ever found and in addition to the file it has found , it attempts to remove other parts , too .

That is not a problem but a benefit . For example , you may have had previously been infected by a complex threat (running processes , OS changes , lots of reg entries/keys) . You then install Norton . At first , it detects just one file - a particular running process but this complex threat has many other latent components . By using the information from Symantec Security Response and from the community , Norton will not only remove what it has already detected as a single file but will attempt to fix other (currently latent) parts of this complex threat.

In icr's case - check the screenshot provided , only a bot.exe file in C:\Documents and settings\~user~\Desktop\ is detected . But Norton will also attempt to remove other parts of this threat (known to Symantec) even though these parts are still not present

22. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Absolutely agree with you (But half agreed)..This kind of information will really scare users. Like ICR got confused, there are lot of people who don't know what this report wants to tell you...They should clearly mention what actually this file did and what will happen if it get executed...

23. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Well , OK , I kind of agree. But Norton is made for end users with no to small computer knowledge and these details will tell them nothing no matter how they are showed.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  24. icr

icr Registered Member

Got it man actually norton does checks what this file might do incase it did get executed coz the screens I posted definitely shows that those folder/files are infected but I tried to find them(in clean image ofcourse) and I didn't find any. So what norton does it that it collects the complete info of that file:)

Good approach by norton but still I don't feel any such use of it coz in case we haven't executed the file still it will take much of time to just analyze the file this isn't expected from the end user;)

I don't get along well with this feature and btw I'll try to test with more samples and then post the result regarding the same but in this case with the internet connection off and see what does it do this time:)

25. ALiasEX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.