Norton 2009 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by s4u, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

2. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Rather have my Pc infested with Malware than put that thing on Norton yuk.

3. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

That is not logical. NIS 2009 is beta employs completely different programming. It is light as a feather and likely very effective in proactive detection. Signatures are released many times per hour- as they are written. The competitors are afraid of this release- and I can see why. :thumb:

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

LMAO. You've made my day... thanks. :D :D :D :D

5. Bunkhouse Buck

Mine too. As a contrarian, when someone like you (Norton basher) rears his head, I know they have produced an efficacious product. :D

6. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Just installed this 'for a laugh', skeptical that a Norton suite was any good and slowed my system down to a crawl, but I'm pleasantly surprised. Picked up 3 detections that Avira missed (without this getting into any sort of bashing post, just stating a fact) and seems amazingly light on resources. I think I might actually give this one a go :eek:

EDIT - There were in fact three detections, not six as I originally stated, just three instances of one particular threat. As an Avira user normally, I don't want chaos to erupt, but I am a little concerned that it did miss these 3 threats.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  7. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

Please stop bashing, starts to get irritating.

This version of norton really works like a champ, very stable and light!

8. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

He just can't accept the fact that Norton is getting better.

9. Bunkhouse Buck

At least Symantec is listening to their customers. They have produced a very light product that detects well, and updates sometimes just a few minutes a part. People want something that does not slow down their computing, and this achieves that and more.

10. ambient_88

I agree. Symantec has the resources to build a really outstanding product.

11. iwod

iwod Registered Member

It just shows what big company can do when they get it right. With the resources they have.

I am using Norton NIS 2009 beta and it is one of the lightest All in One suit i have ever used. I cant imagine how much lighter the AV only solution will be. And for the first time in..... what? in nearly a decade, I would higly recommand Norton AV to my friends.

Now i start wondering when will i see Microsoft doing these sort of thing. Will the massive resource they have.

12. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Find this very interesting. Just one question, how stable is it for a Beta? Many bugs? I Beta tested ESS from early on without any problems, just wondered if its as stable as that was.

13. ambient_88

It's rock-solid stable for me.

14. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Many thanks. I'll download and give it a spin.

15. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

NIS 2009 is rock solid, fast and light. There is a bug in the latest build though. There's a warning about Phishing Health that can't be fixed. I don't know if this bug affects all users. It hit me a few days ago. The folks at the Norton Beta forum say it will be fixed in the next build.

EDIT.....Although I had the latest build installed, on a whim I decided to uninstall it, clean the registry, and reinstall it. Going on 5 hours now, and no fix it alert for Phishing Health. :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  16. mannagills

mannagills Registered Member

The Phishing Health bug seems to be fixed in build 106.

17. Graystoke

I'm running build 106. I thought by doing an uninstall/reinstall, registry clean, adding the new key, it might fix the problem. It did for several hours. Today, the Phishing Health bug is back.

I'm a little confused. Is the Phishing bug supposed to be fixed in build 106, which I understood it was, or the next build? It looks like I have to go to the beta forum and ask again.

18. Bunkhouse Buck

No Phishing health issue here. Everything light, fast, and very smooth. :thumb:

19. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

Is there already a release date set?

20. denniz

denniz Registered Member

I believe somewhere around September.

21. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

Is anyone beta-testing this with Vista 64? I'd be interested in your opinions on how it works in that environment. I tested one of the original builds, and a lot of the 64 bit issues were still there from NIS 2008 (I mentioned one earlier in this thread in fact).

While I really like the KIS suite, to be honest I prefer NIS as I (right or wrong) like having the backing of a larger company behind me - purely a personal preference. However, until they get the 64 bit bugs fixed I can't use it. I'm hoping they are doing so.

22. Graystoke

Did another uninstall/reinstall yesterday. No Phishing Health bug since. :) Hopefully it's gone for good.

23. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Few questions:

1. Does the beta allow updates?
    2. How long is the beta good for and what do you do once it expires?
    3. Does it do a good job uninstalling and reinstalling?

Thanks for any replies.

24. denniz

denniz Registered Member

1. Yes of course, why wouldn't it update?
    2. Each beta build is valid for 14 days, within 14 days they will always release a new build. The new build is also valid for another 14 days if you renew it with the license they sent to you.
    3. Yes, install is about 1 or 2 minutes, uninstall is much cleaner then NIS2008.

25. Meander

Meander Registered Member

I've really enjoyed this release. It's a very light and well-designed product.

Right now, the primary difficulty I've had is that Norton tended to generate a couple of FPs on high heuristics with the new engine. In contrast, Avira Free has given me zero trouble on high heuristics, and I imagine that its heuristics are still superior in detection, though Norton may have greatly improved.

That aside, I will say that if I ever did bother to pay for a suite, this would be the one - especially if their new heuristic engine continues to be refined. Probably won't pay full price for it (I'm very happy with my current setup) but I could see myself buying it on impulse if a great deal came along ;)

If Symantec can wrinkle out the remaining bugs, they've done an excellent job here (with the exception of the Vista 64-bit context scan issue, which doesn't apply to me).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.