Norton 2009 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by s4u, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

You can hate/curse Symantec for as long you want, but the fact still remains that Symantec's consumer line is getting better. NIS/NAV 2009 shows a lot of promise. As for the corporate version... well, as the name suggests it is intended for corporate use. More often than not, the company will provide a workstation/laptop that is optimized to run it. Add to that the fact that an IT manages those workstations/laptops on a daily basis.

By the way, the author of that blog is a pure Symantec hater. I haven't experienced any of the things he said there, so I'm thinking that he purposely made the program throw errors or photoshopped the screenshots.

2. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I respectfully disagee, I have pointed out these flaws numerous builds, they are going nowhere. I have tested for Norton a number of years & I'll admit upfront that they are remodeling their look & features but it's not as far as it needs to be at this point. I'm usually pro norton but I wouldn't buy this even if they fix the bugs, it looks sloppy & feels the same way & I have never seen a false positive for a Norton product beta or not & it was set at default & deleted the file I needed on boot up, a license for a game BTW....

3. ambient_88

Well, they are testing a new feature (Process Trust, I believe) that may incorrectly flag legitimate files. But as far as the other areas are concerned, i.e. system resource usage, they have definitely come a long way. Also, would you mind telling what "flaws" you have found?

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its a beta......
    its like a bug in a beta update for a product i wont mention the name but sent out an update for the beta that made it stop detecting any malware. wait until it becomes final before making up your mind. just report the FP.

5. larryb52

you guys don't read...I have reported numerous times, they don't hear one person...they need thousands & no I haven't seen a final program so the final vertict is not in BUT having done this for them before they are showing signs of not getting it usually by Aug 1 they have all the big things out of the way, they are not there yet IMO...just observations gentlemen...

6. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

How do you know they have not heard you? :p Ive been reporting two minor bugs that no other had and I havent heard from them, but when the RC's and the the final are out - we will see if they are corrected then :)

7. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Good luck with your hopes. I've reported numerous issues with their SEP11, as have other people. So those issues are still there after ~8 months and 2 1/2 service packs later. (And that product costs $$$$ for even medium-sized sites). They don't care simply, the only "solution" they took was to wipe all my posts from their support forum and kill my account. I've mentioned this earlier on this thread.

I certainly won't jump on 2009 bandwagon and pray to the yellow god only because they couldn't pretend they haven't heard all those millions of bloatware complaints any more and so they made an attempt to make the software faster. Their support still sucks goats nuts and I have no trust in them. Their LiveUpdate still is horrible. It still takes ages and it still requires multiple attempts to get fully updated. The only improvement there was that now the infamous "progress" window is invisible so all the flaws and bugs are burried from the sight of users. LOL, what a solution... :rolleyes:

8. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

You really dont get it :rolleyes:

9. larryb52

I was writing the other poster, sorry...& trust me I get it...

10. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Yeah, I know you do :D It was so he could read your post and mine again if he forgot (what he obviously must have) ;)

11. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Larry, I could not disagree more. If files were removed, your settings are incorrect or there was some user error, and the phishing problem was rectified on my box yesterday. The update is obvious and just as it states- 12 minutes ago is 12 minutes ago.

I am objective about Norton- I am not a promoter or a detractor- but I am objective. My view is that this beta version is their best work- and I find no bugs or other things to detract from it's efficacy. Perhaps uninstall, use CCleaner, and reinstall.

I will continue to use Avira except on my test box until I see AV-Comparatives tests show NIS 2009 has excellent proactive scores- at least equal to Avira or NOD32. If they cannot achieve that, then all the new stuff is nice- but not dealing with the major issue which is for any AV to keep you from getting infected in the first place.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  12. larryb52

I don't want to fight but I just installed it & it deleted the file on boot, that
    's pretty straight forward. I had no chance to change anything & I've been around so I think I would know if I chged something, so NOT user error, I never could get the phishing problem resolved & It wanted to reboot to remove the FP's & they were not in quaranteen,so I removed it. I don't expect you to believe me & fully expect you to pick out some small duance in my statement here & attack me but I LIKE norton & have defended it before I do not take pleasure at stating what I observed & opinions . You can find fault with my observations and opinion. But I am intitled to both...

13. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I don't fight with anyone Larry unless they want to hit harder than required to disagree. I am about critical thinking because there is a lot of bs on this board. I am not saying you don't have issues per se, I am saying I don't. Let's leave it at that. :D

14. ambient_88

Just to clarify my position on Norton: I don't promote their products.

I would have to agree that support can be better, but it is not nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be. I contacted them once just to see how they will respond; it wasn't a bad experience at all. Regarding the LiveUpdate... have you even tried Norton 2009? The LiveUpdate is way better now. In fact, it is better than most updaters I know of. The download only takes a while after a fresh install (this is obvious, since it has to update the definitions and program components). And Norton is the first security application I've seen to incorporate streaming definitions.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hey,
    i agree that doktornotor obvisally hasnt tryed norton 2009 yet.
    the live update is fast now. took symantec enough years to fix it but late is better than never.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Symantec Unveils Norton Safe Web Beta Search Security Tool
    Story

17. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

They're going the way of AVG's LinkScanner..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2008
  18. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

What game was this, someone from Symantec can take a look. Do you remember the message you got ? Was it a SONAR detection ?

19. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

I note from posts here that a special new feature of NAV 2009 is the streaming update - meaning it checks for/downloads updates every 10 minutes or so.

Personally, I prefer to update software when it suits me (but do so regularly), and turn off automatic updates whenever possible. I only connect to the internet when I need to and my browsing and email opening habits are cautious, with the usual complement of security apps (in fact have never had my PC infected with anything beyond the odd tracking cookie). So I really don't feel my life is threatened if I'm a few hours behind with the latest definitions.

My question:

Will it still be possible to turn off automatic updates with NAV 2009 and update manually when it suits? (I have NAV 2008 at present, which does give the option).

20. ambient_88

I believe there's an option to turn off automatic updates.

21. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

Thanks for info.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

lastest build issues and thoughts.
    issues: if i reboot it wont get past the windows loading bar,process trust takes a long time to get info from server.
    tryed to install the new norton websafe addon but needed a reboot, see issue above.
    thoughts-
    the two panel cpu usage meter is nice. left hand side other program/system usage right panel nis/nav cpy usage.
    i dont like the forced norton account creation wizard. i put in fake details just to close the wizard.
    once the reboot issue is fixed i will test it again so someone post on this thread when that issue is fixed.

23. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

very nice product, lots of extra's SONAR THE BEST SO FAR.

24. larryb52

the last beta was yesterday & it has improved tremndously. Everything is running well & is easy & quick to install & light no system impact. It's starting to look more polished, setting are pretty straight forward. I think Norton has a winner here. The little updates are seemless, I'm pretty impressed with this beta version...

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hi larry, did you manage to reboot?
    did you try the new norton websafe beta?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.