Norton 2009 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by s4u, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

If by spyware/adware you include trojans, that's true. I've seen Norton miss much more common threats..Maybe because of heuristics disabled, don't know for sure. But the "Symantec/Norton sucks" reputation isn't all bashing.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

rather than buying companies out they should create inhouse products and tightly intergrate them in to there products.
    nis2009 is definatly lighter on resourses. now they need to work on better detection.
    most of the time as you say symantec lives on the fact they are the so called "market leader"
    a companie as big as symantec could produce some fantastic products.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  3. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Nothing personal, but anecdotal evidence (your experience) is not sufficient one way or the other. The detection rate of Norton is not at the top of the AV-Comparatives list and never has been. As to spyware/adware, I never had any when using Norton. So I will have to disagree. My main concern is the malware that is very harmful, and I am not convinced that NIS 2009 can handle it as well as other strong AVs.

4. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi
    Well I could say tests by one organisation, though transparent, may not reflect the ability of how AVs perform in the real world, so it is also "not sufficient one way or the other."
    And Lodore said he'd cleaned a lot of computers, and spyware/adware was missed. You said "I never had any". But you and most people in Wilders are not average users, so IMHO that doesn't say a lot (in a good kind of way of course).

5. Bunkhouse Buck

Your premise is that the tests do not reflect the real world. I don't accept the premise of your argument (it is merely an assertion). I think the AV-Comparatives tests do in fact, represent real world experience. Of course, if a particular AV is mediocore in proactive testing (like Kaspersky), there is a tendency to attempt to discredit the tests. But, we are off the topic at hand.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  6. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Oops I forgot to add, I'm talking about AV-comparatives On-demand, not Retrospective. If you're talking about Retrospective then I think it's useful as a guideline.

Thanks

7. Bunkhouse Buck

I have clean machines and have never been infected with malware since my first pc (Apple) in 1980. I am only concerned with not getting an infection in the first place. That is where heuristics come into play, and very few AVs have good heuristics- but some do such as Avira and Dr. Web.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well has your av acually blocked threats?

9. Bunkhouse Buck

Of course- as those programs have defined threats. Whether they were or not would take a long discourse. I have used at least nine different AVs over the years. I still rotate amongst four of them.

10. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

How are you testing. I'd best you do the usual right-click, scan. NIS has a lot more protection to do with keep the exe of the PC itself. There is IPS, Browser Protection, SONAR etc. You have pretty much bypassed all of these by not introducing the threat correctly onto the machine. So I think your "test" is FUD.

11. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

That said. I have seen kaspersky do the exact same and fail to remove them Also have seen far more FP's as of late then with Norton. Each AV has there faults lets not keep pointing them out. I commend Symantec for listening to people for once and is sizing down the bloatware all why keeping the protection it had before working as it should. Norton is still in the top tier of AV's even if its considered bloat. give it a few more years at most and I'm sure it will be giving other AV's in this market a run for there money.

The main thing I wish they would change is how DEEP it digs it self into a OS. to the point if you want to Uninstall it your better to Restore from a Image then try any uninstall method.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  12. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

My only beef with Symantec is their lack of support with 64 bit Vista. I just found out that it appears the only two issues they have with 2009 are the lack of SONAR, and lack of context scanning (which there is a workaround for).

I dunno about losing SONAR though. They trump that up as a big part of their detection of unknown threats - When I asked the question though, they said the other components in their layered defense keep you covered. Is SONAR being important the sales pitch, or is the layered defense keeps you covered the sales pitch? :D

The truth is, Symantec only has to be CLOSE to as good as other security systems - With their name recognition, market share (both consumer and business)... They're a juggernaut to be sure.

13. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

If I'm right SONAR is the hips part of Norton. that said with it off I would think the protection would drop some to say the least. that said. Norton aint the only one that seems to have problems with 64bit OS's. until 64bit gets more of the share of the market for computers I don't see this changing anytime soon. hence why I will stay with 32 bit as long as I can.

14. CountryGuy

TRUST ME, I've thought about just re-installing 32 bit, but its very frustrating: All of the driver issues have been worked out, and I like the additional security features of Vista 64 (PatchGuard, etc.). Never mind I'd be wasting some of my 4GB of RAM :D

15. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Sometimes I wonder if it really is additional security only reason I say that is yes 64bit has some nice built in security but with everything you lose due to security programs not being able to function to there fullest it makes me wonder who is really losing out. I'm hoping Norton and the other AV's out there start putting some time into 64 bit Norton would mostly benfit from this becuse of its Pre Installed market it has.

16. CountryGuy

True enough. At the same time though, those difficulties also make it harder (but no, not impossible) to write malware for it. And since its not the biggest market, there's not as much incentive to write 64 bit malware - yet.

17. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Sad part is once they start writing for 64bit only the 32 bit would be the safest thing around. :p

lets just hope Norton among others start coding for 64bit before the Virus writers do.

18. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

Interesting. How do you know? Do you know any source where to download the final? Thanks!

19. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

edited content...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  20. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Are you guys able to download the final version?

21. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Is it recommended to install the final version:

1. On top of the beta?
    2. After uninstalling the beta?
    3. Restore a fresh system image and install the final version (i.e., no beta installed ever)?

22. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Of course , this :rolleyes: option is the best - always! :thumb:

23. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

edited content...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  24. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

There are still issues with PerfectDisc that they blame on Raxco and that is wrong. Have used raxco with other AVs and no problem. Also missing some detections as usual from Norton. It may be light but it is still Norton! We shall see when the tests show how much it really detects!

25. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

It will be in the 2nd tier or Top Tier as it always is. Right now it don't seem like they are putting a lot of work into detection I'm guessing that's coming next from my view it looks like there just trying to get the program slimmed down then they will start working on there detection. if they can get SONAR detecting more then they really will be a powerhouse to take on.

As the same with ANY AV Norton will detect some that others miss and others will detect some that Norton miss. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.