Norton 2008 released?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by midway40, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murtadh

Murtadh Registered Member

This is the full one, it will be trial if you don't have the key. After you install it, it will ask you to enter your Norton account.... and from there it will take the key you 2007 key in accept it.

2. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

yup,turning off AP worked.........
    fellowmembers,
    ur 2007 key will work with the latest line of products...........download the trial-ware and put in ur key...............

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

could one of you,... please add some screenshots to the sticky :)

might aswell keep it updated :)

4. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

I currently run NIS2007. Whats the best way to install NIS2008? Just install over the top or uninstall NIS2007 first?

I presume my existing key will work ok for the new product?

5. BG

BG Registered Member

K ... I uninstalled 2007 ran norton removal then installed 2008. Only thing I had to do was enter my user name (emailaddress) and password and it found my sub and everthing was fine. You probably don't need the removal tool but I did it anyway.

6. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I read somewhere- but for the life of me I cannot find it again- that NIS 2007 will be updated to '08 via LiveUpdate. If this is true I hope they let you know beforehand, maybe via the LiveUpdate Notice utility, so you know what is going on (like why the update is taking so long).

7. midway40

Done :)

EDIT: Well, 1/2 was done. I had uploaded the others but screwed up on the posting. I cannot add them because it keeps telling me that these images are already uploaded. I even changed the name of the files and it still tells me this.

ANOTHER EDIT: LWM fixed it for me, thanks to you both :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  8. Legendkiller

NRT has screwed up nis'08 i believe...................
    i uninstalled nis'08 with it.........and now when i m trying to install nis'-8 again it is unable to activate d product despite the fact my internet is working........
    i tried repairing the installation by clicking on d setup file.........but to no avail..........

Attached Files:

• nnn.JPG
      nnn.JPG
      File size:
      48.1 KB
      Views:
  9. midway40

:( They should put a disclaimer about it's use.

To repair mine I just removed '08 by Add/Remove and reinstalled it as per what the tech told me to do.

10. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

btw if you want the LU to run quicker go into go to conrol panel & ope LU icon &
    go to automatic update chg the time it checks for updates to 60 minutes...

11. BG

BG Registered Member

If you will check I already mentioned this a few posts back. :)

12. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I'm slow & old, sorry...no offense meant...

13. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I downloaded and installed (on second attempt) NIS 2008, and when I logged into my Norton account, it found the key from NIS 2007. But now my notebook takes forever to log onto my wireless network. Prevx 2 now has problems starting, and I get error messages from it. It eventually starts after I get access to the internet, but I'm not sure this is the problem. So I went back to NIS 2007 which is working flawlessly. I have 56 more days on my subscription, then I'll have to figure out what was going with NIS 2008, or find something else.

14. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

From what I'm reading it seems Norton has reverted back to its 2005/6 days with this 2008 version :cautious: Too much Bumfluff and other unnesesscities added :rolleyes: Why the Hell cant they just leave well alone, What, with it telling me, cannot activate at this time, and to activate by phone,and the Customer Service people being thick as pigshit, telling me they cat find my account its been deleted ,plus Norton infiltrating my Vista Sidebar by adding a Norton Gadget, I think I'll stay well clear of this Mess :ninja:

15. oldshep

oldshep Registered Member

I trialed NIS 2008 for ~4 days. The core FW, AS, AV worked well and the machine was pretty fast during browsing and startup (faster than ZA ISS). But the extras like the identity safe and the one click Chat with Tech support never worked for me. Plus I found Symantec's tech support completely unhelpful. So I uninstalled and went back to my tried and true.

But NAV looks like it is improving and I might consider going to it sometime in the future.

16. Legendkiller

just tried it,it says some "product error" and not connection failure or something dunno wats d prob.....

17. BG

BG Registered Member

Well after about a week I had to go back to NIS2007. 2008 just slowes my system down just enough to be annoying. It also causes IE to close slower. There are a few other little things that I would not have noticed had I not been running 2007 first.

18. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

At Shields Up on the all ports scan fails. Says 1039, 1040 and 1041 as blocked. When I use XP FW it passes. Is there a setting I'm not seeing? Have not tried Norton since 99. Am used to Comodo and Avast, so having fun trying this. Have noticed though my system seems just as fast and games run fine.

19. midway40

I am glad you posted this as I have been meaning to ask about how NIS's firewall fares under Shield's Up in the FW forum. I cannot use these tests because testing on satellite broadband yields erroneous results (shows everything open but port 80).

Since now I know what ports to check I will research it more tonight and try to get back with you.

20. midway40

According to a setting I see, blocked ports are supposed to be stealthed (this setting should be on by default, I don't remember turning this on). It is hard for me to experiment with this since I can't really test it.

I remember having to modify FSIS and TMIS's settings to get a true stealth status but that was back when I was on dialup and was able to test it.

Attached Files:

21. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

Here I get a "pass" for all ports.

If there are ports not stealthed, maybe there are applications in the background that use those ports? One time I also couldn't get a pass with any program, only Windows firewall. Turns out my windows installation was screwed up in some ways. Installed it on a fresh system and all worked again.

Just generally I think it is a good idea to install NIS08 on a clean system (also those that maybe have perfomance problems - as I cannot confirm that NIS08 slows anything down here).

22. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

By the way, the "stealth blocked port" option is activated by default, so that shouldn't be the cause for the fail.

23. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

All passed today after running live update again. I may just go ahead and purchase before the 15 days are over. I did download the 90 day trial of NIS2007 and just wonder what is diff between the two.

24. midway40

Thanks for the info, guys :)

On their website, they list the features of NIS '08 and these are the one's marked as "New" over '07.

Plus it has a new interface of course.

My computer does boot up and shut down faster. Scan time has been about the same though. EDIT: Overall "feel" of '08 is faster. '08 uses 4 processes where '07 used 5 but the amount of RAM usage is about the same.

One click support worked ok with me but I was lucky and got someone who was knowledgeable. I read a couple of instances here where people got ignoramuses instead.

I don't have a home network so I cannot comment on it.

IS works ok as far as keeping CC info and filling out forms but the password/login does not work on all sites.

I guess what they mean by "works quietly" is that on default setting NIS's firewall decides what programs will access the net. While this may be ok for regular users, I changed this to let me decide on this. This is not exactly new though as '07 did the same thing.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  25. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I assume that the home network protection was what was causing my notebook so long to connect to my network. Hopefully that can be turned off. I don't know if this slow connection speed caused the problem with Prevx2 or not, but I immediately went back to NIS 2007 because it's working so well for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.