Norton 2007, and McAfee

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I have to agree about the number of processes affecting performance. I do not see any performance degradation with FSIS nor did I with Trend Micro IS as it also has a lot of processes. There was a problem with one of TMIS processes eating up a lot of memory but that was due to a conflict with SpyBot S&D.

I guess it boils down more to how an AV's process(es) affect the normal operation of the computer in it's analyzing of data that goes back and forth.

2. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

Norton has a removal tool and I believe so does Mcafee. Are you guys using the removal tool and still having problems with leftover files?

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

you should have no problems with the un-installation of 2007 norton, but its nice of them still to offer a removal tool.

4. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

I've never understood the "commenting on products I have never used, and thereby trying to convince people to use something else". I also never understood the "I've had so many problems in the past so I havent tried it and i wont". I have had BIG TIME problems with almost every brand, Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee, Bitdefender and so on, but that dont affect me to say "no I wont ever try that brand again". When new versions come up no matter what brand they are from, I cant wait for testing them to see what has become better and so on. But thats just my oppinion....

To answer your question :) Both of the suites/av's runs well on my comp. I would choose Norton because it is more "set & forget" and has higher detection rates. I also like the program layout better :)

5. pipester

pipester Guest

I just recently purchased a new desktop that came preloaded with the Mcafee Security Center trial, out of curiosity I decided to give it a trial run for a couple of days, I must say, it ran very well on my system considering the processes and ram usage, automatic updates worked without incident and it was very user friendly, with lots of useful information. Using add/remove programs, the security center and associated modules were removed. I encountered no problems using or removing this software.

6. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I couldn't have said it better, thanks!

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

BigC , with all the respect to you we need to take into consideration that your computer is very powerful (fast processor and big amount of RAM) . I remeber this of the polls here (AMD Sempron 64 3200+ and 2GB RAM). Let's not forget that not all here have that kind of excellent computer (mine is 1Ghz and 512 mb RAM) . And while programs like F-prot , NOD32 , AVG , Avira run well on ALL kind of machines , Norton and McAfee run well only on machines that are newer and more powerful (like yours) .

Yes , we all see they have improved from 2006 versions , they try to improve but still there is a room for improvements . I have tried McAfee VirusScan 2006 and 2007 and thet are Ok for protection but what made me really bad impression was that this VS was constantly (very often) advertising me to get Internet Security.Don't know if it was because I run a trial but I have chosen VS only and it was my choice , not IS but they didn't stop until I really got rid of it :D

That's my opinion :thumb:

8. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've read horror stories on forums about Norton and wonder if some of those people really ever used the product or are just Norton haters, sort of like those who hate Microsoft because both are the big kids on the block.

I had Norton 2006, 90 trial, on my old computer and had no complaints, except the price. It didn't seem to slow down my machine much. When the trial was over and I went to something else, it uninstalled easily but did leave stuff behind. I haven't found any software that absolutely removes every piece. There always seems to be something left.

Norton (just the antivirus) was a big program, but I had plenty of room. I never ran into any viruses, etc so can't comment on its effectiveness. If I happened to stumble onto a deal somewhere, I wouldn't hesitate to grab it based on its track record in tests.

McAfee, on the other hand......I'd pass. The wife and I each had a year subscription. We both got rid of it within a few months. It definitely slowed things down, and was harder to get rid of completely than Norton.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I personally have had a soft corner to McAfee as compared to Norton mainly because I didn't like Symantec as a company. McAfee and Norton are both good products right now, and for all I can say about McAfee, its a bit bloated and its somewhat heavy, and it doesn't offer very good scan customization and configuration options, but it is very effective in what it does.

As regards Norton, they have certainly improved in the 2007 version, but personally I still feel McAfee is having much better value. But, if you prefer better configuration options and don't want your AV to think that you may not be very familiar with having your own configuration for things, I recommend Norton.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would say products like f-secure,norton and mcafee are fine for new computers but if you have an older pc or a lower spec new pc say £399 pc then it will slow it down quite alot.
    i never understand that you buy a fast laptop like a coreduo 2 and dell load tons of crap and you think omg this is slow intill you get rid of the crap.
    if you have a lower spec pc because you dont need a faster pc or cant afford a newer pc you need light protection such as f-prot,dr web ,antivir,kav6.0. but the main problem is most home users only go by what pc world reccomends which is norton or mcafee and same with newspapers.
    with pc's so cheap people just pop to pc world and they ask what secuirty and they say norton and thats it they dont say you need anything else.
    i know pc world sell spysweeper and have done for a while now but pc world dont seem to reccomend it to people its just on the shelf
    lodore

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  11. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Hey check my computer hardware: PIII 500MHz, 256MB SDRAM and the 810 mommaboard. NAV 2007 didn't cause me any problem but McAfee was causing slowdowns specially at starting the funny security center. I also found another problem with the updating part. Sometimes it would miss the updates completely. But that might be a computer specific problem too.

12. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i am using mcafee virusscan plus for some-time now and its working here..mcafee has always worked for me even when i had moderate P-II with 256mb ram in 2003-4...

And yes,i have been using norton 2006+7 on my dad's office pc and its working well there...

Also norton is currently running a beta program which makes norton-2007 series workable on vista(its also runs on XP) with an improved user-interface..

But if i have to choose as of now i will go for mcafee virusscan plus...which is around 40$ and it now has a dedicated support forum..

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

on my old laptop, mcafee IS 2007 lagged but i doubt it would on my new one, it was mainly the loading up what took sooo long and the security centre of mcafee became laggy, but like i said... on my new laptop, i doubt it would.

norton wasnt even laggy on my old machine, havnt tried it on my new one but it should run even better.

thats just my views, both are decent overall packages though, and to be honest wouldnt really reject either if offered.

i didnt like mcafee with all its icons in the toolbar, 4 or 5 of them, are these really neccessary, and another one pops up while your updating too, if they could just have one icon, id prefer it alot better i must say.

either way though, norton 2007 would get my choice out of these 2 big companys.

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

here is what McAfee total protection 2007 puts in the task bar

15. Crappopotamus

Crappopotamus Registered Member

Unfortunately right now unless you are buying tax software with it, you won't see it for less than about 49.99 for the 3user..

Can someone point me a link and prove me wrong? I'd love to get it on the cheap :)

16. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I start looking for deals well before my current subscription ends. I paid about $10 for NIS 2007 after two rebates totalling $50. It looks like the $20 upgrade rebate is still in effect.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

they must have updated it then bigc, as when it was released, you got 4 or 5 icons in the system tray.

or maybe there are settings to close them, if this is/was the case, they were too hard to find.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i guess its a bit like dr web can have like 4 icon in taskbar but you can just have one.
    i guess mcafee is the same or they just updated it to have just one icon.
    lodore

19. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

When I tried McAfee 07 products (when they came out, again later, again later and again one week ago), it only showed an "M" icon and a "round arrow (update)" icon.

20. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Nope that is the only icon available, The total protection has ten modules and still only one icon. and if you right click the "m" icon this is what you see

21. pipester

pipester Guest

DrWeb has (3) icons, two are optional.

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

actually, dr.web has 3 icons,

and all 3 are optional, no icons are needed in the taskbar at all if you dont want.
    ------

when i tried mcafee total when it was first released, i had loads of taskbar icons.... obviously they fixed this or it was my old laptop being funny, i dont know.

either way, mcafee or norton are good products, mcafee might slow down on older machines, but both are good, big companys and should be no problems.

23. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I would like to run NAV or NIS on my machine because frankly I like the product. But I have tried on several occasions, two days ago being the latest, to try to run NAV or NIS 2007 on my computer with no luck. It literally takes ten minutes for everything to load up, icons to appear on my desktop, and then being able to open my browser to connect to the internet with NAV or NIS 2007 installed. I have no idea why this happens. I have a 2.0 Ghz AMD Athlon processor, and 1 GB of ram on XP Home/SP2, so there shouldn't be any problems there. I can install and run McAfee VS 11 3-in-1, (not using at this time) with no problems at all.

I'm not bashing Norton, just giving my mind boggling experience with the 2007 version. o_O

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok im trying the mcafee i get with my dell, it was sluggish on my old laptop but on my new one, it runs brisk. no problems with speed, but i think i still prefer norton, both are good though.

as for the icon thing i was talking about, its still here.

1 for scanning
    1 for wireless networks
    1 for updating
    1 for security centre

aghhhhh

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/1914693/0/nouser_1914/T0_-1_1914693.JPG

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

can you just show one thou?
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.