Norton 2006 Product Launch

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by izi, Sep 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Get,
    No problem.
    IMO support should always be free of charge, because also the company can learn from the user's problems and improve their software this way, including the bugs.
    So it isn't just support, it's more than that.
    If the company has to hire extra people for support, I consider this as normal.
    It's their software, not our software and we users expect that it works, because we paid for it.

It doesn't matter if the user was the cause of the problem or not, everybody makes mistakes.
    That is normal and typical for support. :)

2. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Registered Member

Are they still requiring users to "activate" the software..........seems like they had tons of problems with that

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Or with Norton. Iv'e read that Symantec will be offering a 40% discount for users of rival firewalls, AV's, Suites to switch to their 2006 line.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yes, Norton 2006 line is still using activation system...

5. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Wow! That's quite a deal. Would you please share with us your source for this information? Was it on the Symantec website? Link, please?

6. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

i honestly don't know why ppl pay and use norton antivirus.

when its bloatware slows ur pc alot compared to other antiviruses that do slow ur pc but not as much as norton.

plus u have to pay every yr not like other antviruses.

also norton does not have many features compared to other antviruses plus norton has really really reallt slow scans and the updates are weekly not like other antiviruses like the one and only KASPERSKY. ( :D )

and if u want daily updates u have to pay extra come on symantec like a mini side of microsoft.

7. The Hammer

8. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Straight from the Symantec website:

"The estimated retail price for Norton Internet Security 2006 is US$69.99. Current users of Symantec products as well as users of competitive products will be able to upgrade to Norton Internet Security 2006 for an estimated retail price of US$49.99. The Norton Internet Security 2006 Home Protection Pack (with three-user license) has an estimated priced of US$119.99; 5- and 10-user Small Office Packs are priced at an estimated US$244.99 and US$454.99, respectively."

Symantec News Release here

9. The Hammer

With most if not all paid AV's you have to pay to renew your subscription. What paid Av's do not require this? When have you run a comparative test involving multiple AV's to see how much each one slows down your system? People such as BigC are more qualified to comment on this. As far as updates are concerned I would like daily updates but Symantec says" LiveUpdate virus definitions for all supported products are updated every Wednesday. During major virus outbreaks, definitions are made available through LiveUpdate whenever required to respond to the emerging threat". Seems to compare well with others in the feature department also.

10. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

well i prefer kaspersky :D

11. The Hammer

An excellent product by reputation. I say it like that because Iv'e yet to try it. ;) :D

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I just wonder something... You get 1 year with any NAV. Is there anyone that actually renews the subscribtion of old product instead of just upgrading to new year edition (which is released every year obviously).

Strange logic to me. Other AVs can be usually upgraded regardless of which version you purchased and they basically charge you for signatures only.
    avast!,NOD32 and Kaspersky are one of such products.

13. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

As a reseller, Symantec is the most profitable product to sell,
    and yes, all the products mentioned above, update not only their
    definitionlist/sigs but upgrade their product when needed as well.
    So you don't have to buy another yearly edition.

And there were several tests on virusbtn.com where you can compare
    the speed of AV's

And if you work in the field, you can see that every day as well ;)

14. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Thanks, The Hammer & Smokey! :D

15. The Hammer

A lot of people do, but I was not one of them. I always bought the new version every year.

16. The Hammer

Don't you think you should test G-Data since you sell it and not Norton? ;)

17. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

i tried the trial of protection pack 2006 it stuck something in my toolbar?
    bit like the mcafee Security centre execpt in the toolbar pops ups where anoying but i hadnt updated or done full scans which was asking me to do the pc also booted up slower but didnt look 2 bad really!! :rolleyes:

18. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I've installed Symantec AntiVirus Corporate 10 on a test machine, and I must admit the daily updates work wonderful. They release them also on Saturday and Sunday! So always 7 updates a week (if no big threats breat out).That's more then McAfee. Way to go Symantec :)

19. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I thought the new NAV 2006 on XP machines was suppose to update daily also. I installed it, ran it for three days and never got one daily update through NAV's LiveUpdate. I really didn't like it all that much. I uninstalled it and went back to my McAfee VS 10.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  20. That's quite weird. I tested the Symantec Antivirus 10 on two testing machines now, and dailiy updates just work. Maybe the roll-out for the Norton 2006 takes longer? Maybe when it's avalable in the shops? Lets keep an eye on this :)

21. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Yes but?? Mcafee detects better imho..lol ..Symantec i used 4yrs ago and
    my pc was infected like it had termites!! Theyre definitions well the jury is still out..and well they need to go to Shapes!!! Still bloated dont want our pc's running like they ate 10 big mac's!! hehe :eek: :eek: :eek:

22. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

According to AV-Comparatives Symantec has better detection. And who cares about the detecion 4 years ago, it's about the detection at the moment we speak, that's important.

Personally I don't say McAfee is worse or better then Symantec. I just mention they now have more updates then McAfee. An important fact since McAfee and Symantec (Norton) are direct competitors...

23. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

24. The Hammer

BigC has reported that the 2005 edition for home users ran light on his system.

25. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

On this comp.
    512 ram
    2.6 p4
    On this computer Norton runs just as light as nod or f-prot. While doing a full system scan I have no slow down in my surfing or what ever it is I may be doing. And Nav has never let any nasties through during the years I have used it. I have tried about every av there is and I always end up putting norton back for the simple reason that it works. It is everyones prerogative to use Nav or not, but I do recomend it. As a matter of fact I have just ordered the new version of Norton Internet Security 2006, although it won't be available until the last quarter of October.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.