Norton 2006 Crashing

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DigitalMan, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Registered Member

Need some help w/NIS 2006. Playing IT guy for the holidays so accept that we need to make NIS 2006 work.

2 problems I can't figure out:
    1) Without NIS 2006 IE works fine. With it installed links that open a new window crash IE. "IE encountered a problem and must shut down." No further info.

2) NIS 2006 gives an error "Norton scanner has encountered a problem and must shut down" whenever I try to scan for viruses. Basic scan here - none of them can even start.

WinXP SP2 fully updated, NIS2006 fully updated (w/new Live Update manually installed). No other security software.

2. hardhead

hardhead Registered Member

The Symantec Search Support would be a good place to start for a solution.

You can refine your search there too.
    More than likely, you will have to uninstall and reinstall NIS 2006.

I would also try a online scanner too.

3. DigitalMan

Did complete Norton uninstall and reinstall. No change. Searched Symantec support but there are very few/no answers on real problems.

Anybody else having trouble getting Norton Internet Security 2006 to scan for viruses?

4. DigitalMan

For closure I solved this. Problem was previous version of Norton Internet Security 2003. Uninstalling Norton doesn't really uninstall the program, several special component uninstallers are needed.

Fixing it was really easy:

1) Download and run SymNRT
    2) Download and run SYMMSICLEANUP
    3) Download and run MSIFIX
    4) Download and run Rnav2003
    5) Download and run RnisUPG
    6) Run Regseeker and clean registry
    7) Download and install new Norton updater lusetup.exe
    :cool: Install Norton Internet Security 2006

It really is that easy!

5. hardhead

hardhead Registered Member

Hello DigitalMan,

Glad to see you got things worked out.

BTW, NIS 2006 will also allow you to uninstall previous versions too.;)

6. DigitalMan

Actually it didn't fix it all the way. IE still crashes intermittently.

According to Symantec website NIS 2006 does not "fully" uninstall NIS 2003 or earlier, only '04 and '05. I had to download two special uninstallers (NAV03 and NIS03) to get the old NIS stuff off the machine.

This business of "uninstall" not really being a complete uninstall is very frustrating and nonsensical to me. Having to download hard to find, version specific "No, I really mean it uninstall the damn thing" programs is illogical to me. At a minimum I would expect the uninstaller to ask to what degree do you want to remove the program and have a feature to completely erradicate all traces of the program.

Now NIS 2006 can scan, update, etc. just fine but IE is still crashing.

So, installed Firefox and will use that until Symantec fixes NIS 2006. Or maybe IE7 will come first...

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I fully agree with you and Norton isn't the only software with a bad uninstaller.
    So you need another uninstaller to fix the uninstall errors of a software and if it's still not fixed and that happens too, you have to do it yourself. :rolleyes:

8. HamboneII

HamboneII Registered Member

I just installed NIS2006 and all seem to go fine, but I'm getting script errors when I try to display the STATUS and SETTINGs under Norton Internet Security - I just get a blank window to the right.

9. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Do you have any security programs running which might interfere with or block javascript? Also, did you install into a clean environment, with a minimum of programs running in the background? To get an initial clean install of s complicated Suite like NIS, it helps to disable everything you can from running in the background {using MSConfig or similar utility}, then re-enable your startup programs once NIS is running smoothly. Good Luck .. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.