Norman Security Suite

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IvoShoen, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Do you really want to use norman? I mean I'm sure its better than nothing or even better than Ultimate security o rama 2012.

3. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

I personally have not used Norman, but thought I would share the info in case anyone else was interested.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. kjdemuth

I know. I was just joking around. Norman does have some value. Like I said it is better than nothing at all.

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

mmm i dont know about that it tends to slow you down and uses a good amount of ram etc.. i think i would use nothing

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

What does DNB stand for? Also, is the 4 year license key already included in the suite? Also, is this the current version?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

Norman Security Suite 8 DnBNOR edition is a special edition of the latest version of Norman Security Suite that is being offered by the company for free. The special edition requires no license key to install and offers protection for 4 years.
    The DnBNOR Special Edition of Norman drops certain features such as the Intrusion Guard, Privacy Tools and AntiSpam module from the suite, but users will still have the Antivirus and Antispyware protection feature, the all-new Norman Personal Firewall and Parental Control for 4 years worth.

8. acr1965

ok, thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated

9. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

Dude it's free for 4!!! years
    i think it's worth trying at least

10. kjdemuth

So is avast free and comodo. Of course I would much rather use those. Norman SS had about 8-9 processes running at one time. It's scan speeds are horribly slow. I can make a better security suite with some of my favorite free ware.

11. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

Contrary to what others have said here, I've been using Norman Security Suite Pro for about two weeks with no problems. My ESET subscription expired and I saw Norman advertised for $9.99, three users and scarfed it up. There have been no problems, no viruses, firewall is working well, scan times are quick. The only "glitch" that I would report is that when the program is updating, sometimes it seems like Internet connection is slow.

I have subscriptions to other av's and I occasionally bring them back briefly for a scan to see if Norman is missing anything. So far, nothing. So right now I'm happy with Norman.

By the way, is Ad-Aware the av/anti-malware engine for Norman? I ask this because there is a product known as Norman Ad-Aware. If it is, that's cool, because in my experiences in the past I was very happy with Ad-Aware/

12. skokospa

skokospa Registered Member

not, norman rebrending Ad-Aware

13. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

No, Norman Ad-aware is a standalone product and uses Norman engine only.

14. arjanm

arjanm Registered Member

RAM usage has improved a lot since version 9.
    I'm currently running Antivirus/Antispyware and Intrusion Guard from their suite. It has 15 processes, but RAM usage is just under 100Mb. The trials I had from Bitdefender, F-Secure or MS Security Essentials were all way over 100Mb, so Norman's RAM usage isn't that bad anymore.

On-demand scanning is extremely slow indeed (are they trying to run every file in their sandbox maybe?). But the on-access scanner feels rather quick. Applications are starting up faster than with some other scanners I used.

15. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

Another unique feature of Norman Security Suite Pro, which I've never seen before, is a screensaver scanner. It's pretty neat, and kicks in when the special Norman screensaver comes on. I have tried this on two computers. The one with Vista 32-bit works fine, but the screensaver scanner on the Windows 7 64-bit never kicks in. Indeed, you can't even find the special Norman screensaver in the screensaver list. So I don't know if that's a Windows 7 or a 64-bit issue.

16. acr1965

So Ad-Aware from Lavasoft and Ad-Aware from Norman are two completely different products?

17. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

i think 4 year is more of an Overkill advertisement of their product

anyway i will try it out and do some leak testing an report back

4 years a very Good Deal

18. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Thank you very much for the Norman 4 year deal.

19. skokospa

no,norman uses lavasoft engin:thumb:

Attached Files:

20. acr1965

Does anyone have any experience running this product in a business environment? I have MS Word, Quickbooks, a networked printer, etc and am wondering if any issues come up as far as false positives, programs responding slow or any other issues.

thanks

21. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

Well, I use it for personal PC. But I understand Norman does a lot of endpoint security for businesses in Europe and Scandinavia. I imagine the enterprise version for businesses is quite good otherwise they would not get much repeat business. Converting it into a more compact format for individual pc use is another matter. But I have Norman Security Suite Pro on one of my computers and I generally can't complain. However, there is one problem. After updates Internet access tends to be slow and sometimes it even hangs up. I will be monitoring this for a couple of days and see if there is a recurrence.

22. skokospa

I think it should not have any problems.

23. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

o_O I was told by a representative that it is their in-house... but that a year ago.. Thanks for letting me know.:)

24. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

It appears to me that indeed Norman Ad-Aware Pro is built on Lavasoft. But Norman Security Suite Pro shares no features at all, at least visually, with Lavasoft, so I suspect the latter is indeed in-house.

25. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Norman Ad-Aware is based off of Ad-Aware by Lavasoft, no idea if its still updated or what Lavasoft Engine is in it.

Norman AV/Norman Security suite is all in-house using all Norman tech such as the Norman Sandbox.

Now do you have to install by a certain date or just download?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.