Norman Malware Cleaner

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by twodogs44, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well if we're talking Malware apps, now I haven't used Norman yet but I'd guess to say that SAS and Malwarebytes to be better.

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Ahh the old thread-mining. ;)

Always room for SAS and Malwarebytes for spyware, but this is a good back-up AV scanner/removal tool. Haven't had any problems using it.

3. Saraceno

4. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Not in totality, DasFox. My above post was for a poster who was stating his ranking of AM products without providing evidence. Only ranting that extensive tests where done, but he could not show them :D

Anyways, I personally am not competent enough to gauge which product is better or worse. I can at best guess... And all I can say is that: while SAS and MBAM are powerful anti-spyware. They have very low ( or no ) virus detection. Incomparison, Norman can detect all most all threats (with varying accuracies, in each type ).

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

No Balatsokas did really do actual tests.

Only some cultures have different views on politeness and 'open discussion' and some people have trouble dealing with critism

The type of respond (you gave :doubt: ) set him off to a state of mocking self pittyness/self declared martyr (Balatsokas a former poster :doubt: )

Both leads to nothing IMO,

Cheers Kees

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  6. Saraceno

Different backgrounds, different native languages, I can see how easily people may be taken the wrong way.

In my 'limited' experience, I'd still prefer Cureit and Kaspersky, but the thing with the Norman tool, not only can it be downloaded straight from their home page, it's scan uses less resources, is quicker, and by default, scans all hard drives.

The only fault I see, is that it doesn't ask a user what to do once it finds a file, it removes it. However, after running it on several machines with various programs, ranging from portable and obscure programs, I have seen only the one false positive (flock browser setup file - deleted it, didn't need it anyway!). Otherwise, it gave the same as Kaspersky and CureIt, all clean.

Norman Malware Cleaner, from what I can tell, it's a decent tool.

7. vijayind

Ok, do you have any details of his test/results ??

I really think I mocked him away. But really, if you have definitive data there is no need to be afraid. Sure if the facts may reveal the ugly truth and there will be some resistance, but remember :

8. Saraceno

9. vijayind

I usually recommend to friends/family who call for some help.
    With Norman there are no settings to fiddle and you just have to hit scan. It will detect and kill automatically. Thus making it virtually idiot-proof.

Till now no complaints.

10. Someone

Someone Registered Member

How does this program update?

11. Saraceno

It's a single exe file containing all definitions. To update you have to download a new file (about 30MB).

It can run from a USB stick, and doesn't create any additional files or folders. To remove, just delete the exe.

Access the file through www.norman.com and the link in the bottom-right, or http://www.norman.com/Virus/Virus_removal_tools/24789/

12. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Cool, thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.