Norman Firewall- comments puhleeze!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bellgamin, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I don't believe that 3 months because F-secure already has a 6 months free offer. If you really want the second best av scanner choice available, Please, register to the Wilders forum and send to me a private message, and I will tell more about that.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

2. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Guest

I think I have already registered, maybe over a year ago or so, just too lazy to do that now.

Firefighter!!!
    You did interrupt the thread!
    The talk about Norman's firewall WITH an advertisement from F-Secure!
    We were not expecting that, I was not, and I was well aware about that 6 months free thing. You start a new thread for that, or stick to one you have already been posting.

You seem to know nothing about Norman and just throw up your stupid lines.
    This thread is about Norman's firewall and stuff related to that.

Tell belgamin to send a few lines regarding how he did find Norman.
    And if you have not realized, I use Norman only as a second opinion scanner.

3. Firefighter

Forgive me. I wrote all these because a good friend of mine had this Norman stuff. I had removed those numerous trojans that he had in his PC about 6 months, so, after all, I just don't know anything about Norman and I accept that. Sorry, that I even interrupted your case.

PS. Avast 4.6 Home is actually a very good antivirus offering much more trojan like protection than Norman. That's the av which my friend has now. Sygate is also a very good free firewall.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i would like to get some info on how well normans worked also, and how much of a resource hog is it. i have read and heard many good thing about normans firewall but not the same about thier av, only poor stuff there. i am considering it if it is really that good though and it doesnt consume to much. using outpost now and really like it but switched from kerio for the "less resources" as mentioned by most here and i honetly see the same maybe even more ram usage from outpost than w/ kerio. thanks

5. Firefighter

Norman VC 5.80 against my 1734 trojan like malware.

539/683 -- Backdoor
    _13/124 -- Exploit
    152/305 -- Trojan
    __8/28 --- TrojanClicker
    128/200 -- TrojanDownloader,
    _86/146 -- TrojanDropper
    __5/21 --- TrojanNotifier
    _46/147 -- TrojanSpy
    ================
    977/1734 - Total against trojan like malware

Compare these to my post 120. in here

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=70679&page=5

and my post 40. in here

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=70176&page=2&pp=25

After these, I think that I have at least a clue of Norman's capability to detect trojan like malware.

But Norman is quite good against unknown infections. Against my 3624 archived samples (those vere mentioned in my first link above) it detected 10 samples as "possible" and 93 by "Sandbox".

Best regards,
    Firefighter!
    _

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

As to Norman's firewall, I replied to Robyn's PM under separate cover.

Quite a while back I tried the Norman firewall. In my case, it used LOTS more system resources than Outpost. It was also overpriced, IMHO.

I use broadband. On the advice of Blackcat & several other Wilders gurus, I installed a router. By the same advice, all I then needed was outgoing protection. For this, Outpost free works just fine. I use it with the rules wizard always turned on. Thus it is quite simple enough for me & my granddaughter to use. It has kept us well-protected for, Lo, these many moons.

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

thanks i have heard this from others as well about the resource usage. i guess 25 or so is the norm right now. so i think ill stay with outpost for a while. thanks also firefighter for the info ill relay this to my friend who was wanting to try out normans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.