Noob needs help!

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by alchohol, Oct 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alchohol

alchohol Registered Member

Hi Folks,

Just downloaded L nS to replace Sygate which clashed with a new pci ADSL modem. So far so good with L n S except I'm unable to play Crimson Skies on ms zone. When I enter the lobby no ping is showing on anyone. When a host launches I go ingame but fail to connect to them. It's obviously some setting thats needs sorting but i'm a noob in that area ...although I follow instructions well.

I would appreciate any help that you could give please. If I can get it working I'll buy it!

Thanx in advance,

Mark

2. alchohol

a little quiet around here...is this the main L n S forum?

3. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

I can't help you so much, I don't know the ports used by this game.

Look at the Look 'n' Stop logs and you will probably find some alerts and the ports will be mentioned there. With a right click on the alert you can add automatically a rule to the ruleset.
    Otherwise try to find a Firewall Config section in a FAQ about this game.

Regards,

Frederic

4. alchohol

Hey....

Thanx Fred! I'll try that right away...appreciate your help.

5. alchohol

I've discovered the ports I need to allow.

MsnZone: These Ports for Zone are TCP: 80, 443, 9999,
    Port 6667 TCP is the Trigger Port for
    this Port Range: 28800 to 29100 TCP

How do I configure this for L n S? Does it have to be this complicated? lol

6. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Here is what I would try if I were you:
    Open LNS
    Goto the Log Tab and hit Remove All
    Open your game and try to connect
    Alt-Tab back to LNS and allow the rules that are shown in the log
    You may have to enable each rule for both server and client

GL

7. alchohol

Thanx AJohn,

I'll give that a go although I'm sure there's an easier way.

I wanted to uninstall this to be honest, only because I'm stumped with the configuration part...but something tells me to stick with it. It's lighter on resources than sygate was so this fw may turn out to be a hidden gamers diamond.

A simple step by step layman's guide would help enormously... a pictoral guide showing where everything goes. I'm searching everywhere for a guide but haven't found what i'm looking for yet.

Regards, Mark

8. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

First of all goto Look'n'Stop and open the tab that says "Log", then click the button that says "Remove All". This will clear your log file and make it easier to make out what is going on:
    http://www.doubledaze.com/rule.JPG

Then you have to open your game and allow it to access the internet.
    In my example I used Internet Explorer:
    http://www.doubledaze.com/auth.JPG

Next you have to set the exeptions to your program. These will override all of your current rules that are stoping your game from working correctly. To do this you should try joining the chatroom in your program and use Alt+Tab to get back to your desktop. Then you should open up LNS and Click the tab that says Log. You want to double click on each different alert and see which way it is going:
    http://www.doubledaze.com/alert.JPG

To find out which way it is going you can look where it says "Direction" at the top right:
    http://www.doubledaze.com/dir.JPG

Next you will need to close the window that tells you the direction and right click on the same rule. Options will popup, you should choose the one which you need. In my example the direction was PC>Internet so I will click the one that says "Add rule ...... CLIENT"
    If your direction is Internet>PC then you will want to add the rule that says "Add rule ...... SERVER"
    Another picture:http://www.doubledaze.com/add.JPG

Your computer is the CLIENT.
    The place your game is trying to connect to is the SERVER.

You will need to do this with each rule that is different in the log file.

I am not LNS support, just trying to help. Sorry if this isnt clear enough for you. If you have questions just ask.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  9. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

am going to sleep if you need help clear your log and try your game. take a screen shot and show people.

10. alchohol

AJohn,

A big thank you for taking the trouble to post that info for me. I'm happy to say it worked. I need to learn how to manually configure ports and ranges. Still testing, and a big learning curve coming up.

Cheers, Mark

11. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

NP and GL learning.
    Its a good thing you diddnt install Tiny Personal Firewall :D

12. alchohol

Update!

I love this firewall, if you're a noob like me stick with it!

I have a problem which hopefully you could help me with. I am completely stealthed apart from port 445 which I need to be able to play Crimson skies on ms zone servers. I don't want this port to be open to the whole wide world. How can I use this port safely within the zone? I'm using windows 2000 pro btw.

Thanx for your help,

Mark

13. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I would think that that port would only be open while you are using it. If this is not the case Frederick will have to assist you. He made LNS and will know way more than I do.

14. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Nope this guy (445) is tricky. Do you know how to limit - with app filtering - the use of 445??

Ruben

15. alchohol

No, but i'm willing. :)

16. tosbsas

:)--)) Ok. Check out which is the corresponding exe for the game, than in appfilters doble click on that app, and violá - you can put port 445 in there - that way its only open if you start the game

Ruben

17. alchohol

Thanx...I'll try that. I put the fw through another test and nothing was stealthed. That's puzzled me.

I'm doing something wrong and I'm sure it's a simple solution. Maybe I'll post some screenies for you to look at.

18. tosbsas

ok, which ruleset are you using

Ruben

19. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

You just need to associate Crimson skies application to the rule you created t open port 445.
    This way the port will be open only when the application is connected to internet.

Restricting the port to ms zone is possible if you know the IP address or ranges that will connect to your PC.

Regards,

Frederic

20. alchohol

Thanks for the replies!

Ok...I'm in the process of building a new pc. I'll buy L n S and install it there. Then I'll post some detailed info and pictures so you can help me with them.

I'm afraid i still haven't grasped everything, but when I post some pics you can tell me where I'm going wrong. I really like this FW even though it's a little difficult for the beginner to understand.

It would be great if you could incorporate an idiots guide, but don't if it will bloat this FW. Keep it nice and light and word will soon get around amongst the thousands of gamers out there.

Cheers,

Mark.

p.s. My new pc should be up and running in the next few days so I shouldn't be long in posting again. Regards.

21. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Check out 8Signs and Outpost before u buy :D
    LnS is nice but not many updates...

22. alchohol

Thanx for the tip! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.