Non program Icons with IE 5.5.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by blazintommyd, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blazintommyd

blazintommyd Registered Member

Some of the non-program icons available as shortcuts from various websites are really nice looking. The trouble is they become replaced by the MS "e" icon. Is there a way to defeat this, or a program available so that I may retain these icons :doubt:

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi blazintommyd, and welcome to the forums from me also.

That link Pieter posted is a nice program, I use it also.

It goes out and looks for Site Icons and relinks them for you, if any, then saves them.

I also had a few hundred icons on disc which I use to link from with FavOrg, the program's name.

see pic I posted for you to get an idea. [I have yet to get one for Wilders :) ]

Cheers, TAS.

Attached Files:

4. blazintommyd

Nope :doubt:

I go to a website, right click it and the icon appears on my desktop. After I restart the computer, all non-program icons are replaced with the MS "e" icon, hence, all the shortcuts look the same

Fav org, which I downloaded, apparently does something with the favorite folder in the browser - I have about a billion links most of which do not coincide with the frequently used shortcuts on my desktop - in fact I doubt any of them do

So if this program fixes that, then I don't know how to use the program.

One thing the PC magazine program says that makes sense is that the icons are erased in the temp file and that purported fav org refetches them and preserves them. It doesn't appear to work for my desk top. And I did find one link that appeared both on my desktop as a shortcut and also in my favorite folder. This program had no effect on it. It's the same old ugly Bill Gates "e" :rolleyes:

5. Pieter_Arntz

Hi blazintommyd,

The only way I can find as a solution is to copy the favicons to another folder and rename them to something you can associate with the website.
    Then when you want to change the icon, right click your mouse on the shortcut. Select "Properties". Select "Change Icon". Select "Browse". Find the websites favicon.ico file and select it. Select "Open". Select "OK" Select "Apply" or "OK"
    Make sure to point at the renamed copies you made, because these will not be removed.
    Some sites don't have favicons so you will have to settle for the e or borrow/make your own.

HTH,

Pieter

Edited bunch of typos ;)

6. blazintommyd

I made a favorite folder called desktop Icons and recovered the icons. I didn't appear to work at first and now the icons are in fact on my desktop:eek:

And you are correct. There are two that keep the funky "e" Bill must have been eavesdropping he made a $200million dollar research grant for AIDS(?) research :D

Do you know any names of programs where I can get icons from? The NT icons really suck

7. Pieter_Arntz

http://www.royaltyfreeart.com/favicons.html

http://www.surf22.com/articles/favicon.htm

http://www.clickfire.com/content/graphics/favicons/

Regards,

Pieter

8. blazintommyd

I give up. They're gone again :eek:. Search and Destroy must zap them o_O Or I guess the program doesn't save them? This sucks :'(But tanks anyway :-*

9. blazintommyd

I gave it one last ditch attempt and think that I found a solution. The FavOrg program saves the retrieved icons in a folder created by that program. So in the routine you gave me to change icons I placed that folder name from FavOrg into the browse option change icon window and then chose the appropriate icons from the FavOrg file. I found the other icons with a wild-card search and corrected the aforesaid .dll as well. If these don't remain after re-booting the computer then there is some routine at boot that assigns the given file C:\WINNT\system32\url.dll (containing 4 icons) and thus this would have to somehow be disabled at the boot/startup routines. For example I saved the 3 links you provided and these already have the C:\WINNT\system32\url.dll in the browse function window yet the site assigned icons appear on my desktop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.