NOD's spyware capabilities

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by n8chavez, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I know there was a thread not too long ago that talked about NOD's spyware scanning capabilities. There are people that believe that there is no need for supplemental spyware protection. My question is, does NOD scan the registry to identify and remove spyware as other products do?

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I can't talk about the internal workings - I'm a firm believer that NOD32 will keep me clean (although I'm paranoid - so I run other tools as well, and nothing has got past NOD32 YET.. I hope it stays that way!)... but if I'm cleaning up an already infected machine, NOD32 is always one of my first two scanners I run - but it's almost NEVER the last... this tells me that in cleanup, NOD32 can't handle it all... but I have NO solution that can... !!!!!

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

n8chavez,

You probably weren't referring to me, but I'd lump myself into that group regarding the supplemental realtime spyware protection. My own observation is that NOD32 and other AV's handle the initial downloaders quite well and nip the problem in the bud. Behind the AV, many will also employ some manner of registry monitoring and protection. Taken together, these measures are extemely effective in dealing with becoming infected with spyware.

However, on an already infected PC, I would use the dedicated scanning capability of a decent AS application (or two) and I do believe that still remains the preferred option.

Blue

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

n8chavez,

if you take a look at the signatures releases, you will see a lot of entries for spyware (Spy) and adware (Adware), so we can observe that they are working hard to improve its detection in this area...

Take a look here: http://www.nod32.ch/en/news/update.php#CurVersion

Regards

5. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

In my experience, NOD along with many other AV's does remove/detect/prevent download of many Spyware/adware files and will remove many of the start up entries

However it doesn't seem able to reverse or repair many of the system settings that much of this type of malware changes/alters and it definitely does not remove/detect all the non active/non viral junk files that a lot of these malwares drop

Many dedicated antispyware programs will find a lot more registry entries & files than NOD or any AV

BUT

Nod does seem to prevent the initial download of the problem so if it does that then that is much preferable in my view

I don't know of any single AV/AT/Anti spyware that does everything and I don't think there will ever be one
    Nod does seem to be fairly high on the list of Antiviruses that do cope with fixing & preventing a lot of the more dangerous spywares

6. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

im with Derek on this one:
    the key point in fighting spyware is prevention. many new spyware infections take complete control of the infected system, and besides that those are usually extremely difficult to remove, even with the help of dedicated spyware scanners..
    trust me, you dont want them in your system

NOD, apart from having signatures for lots of spyware infections also boasts very good heuristic detection of variants, or modified spyware installers or downloaders..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.