NOD32's real time scanner overactive?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by cdysthe, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdysthe

cdysthe Registered Member

Hi,

We have gotten NOD32 3.0 Business Edition on our work laptops. I haven't been using NOD32 since 2.x, but I immediately noticed a big difference from 2.x, and also from what I have been using recently (Avira): NOD32 is using much more resources than it used to. Especially ekrn.exe, which I assume is the real time protection, spins a lot of CPU. It has also become very slow moving and copying files, and I can see that it's the same ekrn.exe getting busy when work with files. All in all my computer seems slow compared to when I used Avira.

I see that there's a lot of post complaining about ekrn.exe using 100% CPU. For me it's just too much all the time, and slow file management.

I am convinced that this problem has to do with settings, but I am not able to figure out how solve this. If someone has suggestion as to where I could start looking I would really appreciate it.

//C

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  2. wrathchild

wrathchild Registered Member

You can try to disable Advanced Heuristic and Runtime Packers in Real time protection.

3. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hi!

When does ekrn.exe start use 100% CPU? Immediately after start up or later? When you work with all files or only some kinds?

4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

then what would be the point of the av =X ? espec. a paid one =\

5. wrathchild

wrathchild Registered Member

I ask myself the same question. I'm back to v 2.7 and everything is fine.

6. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I'm sure you are aware of the fact that using v2.7 you don't have the option to enable advanced heuristics and runtime packers for file access? So going back to v2.7 then the result is basically the same as when you disable these features using v3 except that v3 also have other enhancements that you won't have in v2.7. If you move back to v2.7 because of the acrobat issue that i can understand, but since this thread had nothing to do with acrobat i assume this is not what you are talking about.

Seems like a lot of people is hung up with the fact there is a option that can slow down the computer in v3. It's a option that is not recommended to use because it could slow down the computer, but the option is there for those that still would like to enable advanced heuristics and runtime packers for file access and accept the slowdown. I know that other AV software have similar features where it's up to the user to decide what they prefer and i like the idea that the user have the freedom to choose. Maybe it would be better to not give the users an option like in v2.7 to end this discussion.
    This option is not available in v2.7 so it's not like this is something that was working fine using v2.7 while not working in v3. v2.7 only had the option to enable advanced heuristics and runtime packers on create/modify and not for file access so it's hard to compare. It could be an idea with a warning in the GUI when these features is enabled to tell the users that the computer could be noticeable slower though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.