nod32 won't remove virus

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by grayson, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grayson

grayson Registered Member

Hi all
    Has anyone got a solution to this.
    Operating system....windows me
    latest nod32 and virus defenition files

When i scan for virus nod32 comes up with eigar.com which is a test file also it detects the file in the Email section (from when I emailed myself with it,to see if nod 32 was working ok.) (I know this is just a test file, this is just an example of what happens.
    When I go to clean it and the email bits,nod brings up the box for your options as to leave,delete etc. The problem is that on every virus it detects all the options of what to do with the file are greyed out exept the leave option. Even the quarantine tick box is greyed out. So there is no way of removing the ofending file in nod32.
    Any one had this before,it's most strange.

Thanks very much
    Grayson Smytheman

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Grayson, can you do the following:

Please download a FRESH copy of Nod32 from www.nod32.com

Uninstall your current version.

Remove the Eset Folder from C Drive> Program Files.

Install the FRESH copy of Nod32 that you downloaded above.

Let us know how you go…

Cheers :D

3. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi, just remove the file manually, the location will be in your log.

As a further note AV scanners are not designed to detect/delete test files.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I assume the email with eicar was found in an Outlook Express dbx file. If that's the case, please open your Outlook Express, locate the particular email and delete it manually. Unfortunately, it's not technically feasible for any program but OE to modify dbx files.

With IMON enabled, there would have been no chance for eicar to make it to the OE mailbox.

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Sorry, I saw your "grayed out" icons and thought you had a corrupted Nod32.

Rereading your post, yes as Sweetie and Marcos state, the file you have will more than likley be in MS Outlook Express and with this being the case is a ".dbx" file, and being so cannot be removed by Nod32, you simply delete the file from you inbox, and sent items folder, and then empty your deleted items folder and the problem should be gone.

Cheers :D

6. grayson

grayson Registered Member

Thanks for all your help on this issue.
    I uninstalled nod32 and reinstalled just to be on the safe side.
    The email atatchments ..ecar.zip were in my sent box and I got rid of those .
    The only thing that still strikes me as old is that I have that file Eicar.com on in my root directory. NOD32 see's it but wont let me delete it the only option I get is to leave it. I suspect that something might be reacting with NOD and not letting the other options come up. Anyway I hope I don't get a proper virus to have to test it.
    Thanks again all
    Grayson

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It sounds like eicar.com was in a zip archive, isn't it? If that's the case, you'll need to delete the whole archive manually. Or, you can configure the on-demand scanner to delete archives automatically. If you'd got it from the Internet, the HTTP scanner would have intercepted it even when residing in an archive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.