NOD32, "Winifixer" and my hijacked desktop??

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Batus, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batus

Batus Registered Member

About two hours ago (while surfing), I picked up something bad. NOD32 is giving me a virus warning and blocking access to a "winifixer.com" site. My desktop has lost its background and gone to blue with the following msg in the middle of it "Warning. Spyware detected on your computer. Install an antivirus or spyware remover to clean your computer" (I think my invader is putting this msg up). Also, a new program mysteriously appeared: AntivirXP08. I tried to unintall it from control panel, but it didn't, so I manually deleted the program (only a couple of megs). Worse: my desktop controls only partially function: there's no option to set background or screen saver any longer. Ran ad-adware and removed a load of malware which I think only appeared in the last little while.

Finally, tried system restore from the only auto-point I have available, but it didn't do anything (i.e., no change after restore). What's going on here? Am I truly screwed? I've never seen anything that NOD32 couldn't stop. What I really need to do is restore back 24 hours, but restore doesn't seem to want to let me do this.

Explorer and my internet connection seem to be ok (but who knows what's going on under the hood).

Thanks for any help.

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

3. Batus

Batus Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.