nod32 VS kaspersky

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by the confused, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It is probably better than some give it credit for being. Passed the latest VB test for XP.

2. rabmail

rabmail Registered Member

They are both excellent AV's. We have 5 machines running NOD32 and 5 machines running KAV5 WS. We set these up to compare them with a view to a larger deployment of the one that best suits our useage. We see no difference in performance as all machines are late models with plenty of processor power and lots of memory.

We have been running these for about 6 months now, and both NOD32 and KAV are updated as new versions become available.

With this comparison we do not run any other security software except Sygate Firewall's, as on a large deployment we want to try and avoid additional software which on a large network would just add to the complications. We have considered adding BOClean but have not yet decided.

During the period we have been running the two AV's we have had nothing that we can see slip past KAV and only a few have got past NOD early in the run, but nothing recently.

We do think KAV does a better job of unpacking and scanning but I am not convinced this is a critical issue to us.

Which ever one you choose, NOD32 or KAV5 (soon to be KAV6) I do not think you will be disappointed. They are both top of the line.

You will undoubtly get a wide range of comments from loyal NOD and KAV users but this is what we see in real world usage. While all the comparative tests make great reading, we think it is the AV that best suits our particular combination of hardware, software and usage pattern that is the best AV for us.

Dick

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I'm not saying NOD is better than KAV, never did, but I will recommend it to anyone who asks :)
    I'm fully aware there are no 'best antivirus', and as numerous people has already said: Get a trial of the programs you are currently considering, and give them a spin to see if one of them fits your needs.
    I did and it took a few months to find the right one.

Personally I like NOD due to it's speed, low resource use and all the options you can tweak.
    Maybe it's not the best of the best, but I don't really care: I'm a safe surfer and I'm sure there are worse AV's out there too ;)

Edit: Oh almost forgot.. New releases of NOD are also free if your license is still valid/active. So you don't have to buy a new version every year when a 2Kx AV is released as some other vendors forces you to do to get the latest protection.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  4. akshay_k72

akshay_k72 Registered Member

Very true. That is one great advantage of being a NOD32 user. You are always upto date - not only with virus signatures but also with the latest version. :)

Cheers

Akshay

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Hi
    I cant believe that you lot swallow the bait each time!Dont you think most threads starting"which is best"are just done to try to wind up the avid users of the AVs the thread starter mentions?(normally NOD and Kav)and just to keep thread active and controversial throws in little quips along the way(this time misquoting kav developers just to suit his cause!)

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Yes, i agree that this is one of the good things about both Kaspersky & Nod. ;)
    Yes, but you have to admit that it's fun sometimes. :D

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Well the message is quite clear: Top notch AVs will drastically reduce the risk of being infected but the the zero minute virus is more and more of a real time threat,and Nod 32 is good at that but not infallible. I don't think it is a matter of 'liking' Nod or KAV but accepting the fact that both need to be supported by other weapons: My current set-up is with KAV and ShadowUser Pro which do give me 100% peace of mind.

8. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I dont know what to say. But if the topic starter is looking for a Pro Answer than the least he could do is a search. I honestly dont know how many times this NOD vs Kav has come up.

All the answer you read in this thread is already posted countless times over on all other similar threads. And i can only see answer repeating itself.

I totally argee with Happy Byte. And i actually feel sorry for him since this is at least the 3rd time i seen him explaning the same thing in the past three months. (@ happybytes , may be you could do Copy & paste :D )

9. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Did you also notice that i explained that VERY FRIENDLY? :rolleyes: :eek: :D

10. rjbsec

rjbsec Registered Member

Not necessarily - sometimes someone new comes along (like me) being fedup with their existing AV, or not having an AV :eek: and looks for some genuine opinions of users.
    These discussions are valuable and obviously update with time, allowing the new or unwary to make informed decisions - I didn't even know KAV or NOD32 existed until I found WILDERS from a Google search!

11. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

If that is the case all you have to do is resarch old threads(loads of them!) on exactly the same subject(Nod v Kav) and after all being a Nod forum I would imagine most posters will come down in favour of that AV,if the same question was posted at the ICE forum or the Kaspersky forum most posters,I would imagine,come down in favour of Kav.
    And sorry these discussions don't update with time:-the fans of their repective fav AV will defend it and make excuses for its shortcomings no matter what!(Dont you remember(no sorry you wont:-you say you didn't know it existed back then!) how Nod was defended in the past,by even Eset by the statement"Nod is an AV not an Anti-trojan!,which although true didnt give much comfort to users infected by trojans after deciding on Nod after reading contrary(advertising info!)on Esets web site!)

12. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Please link ONLY to our main site www.av-comparatives.org and not to the other subpages.
    It's forbidden to use/provide our test results/documents on other sites without our permission.
    If you find anything on other sites, please inform the forum/site admin to remove it.

This post was edited to conform to AV-Comparative terms. -- Ron

If you take these figures based on the numbers, you need to decide whether heuristic detection of new viruses, or the size of the signature database is more important to you. Weigh it with your exposure level - some of the really strange malware that NOD failed to detect will be detected now - the false positive rate is INCREDIBLY low with NOD32... can't speak for KAV...

But you should read in these forums how the av-comparatives.org comparisons are regarded - compare and contrast that with other comparisons - like Virusbtn.com (the VB100 award - access to their data requires a one-time, free registration - and access to the MOST RECENT information requires a paid subscription - so be forewarned...).

I obviously came down on the side of NOD32 - Zero-day protection is what matters most to me - finding a bunch of ineffective dos viruses and threats that are mocked up are NOT what impresses me... you have to make your own decision on what will BEST protect you!

hth

Greg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2005
  13. rjbsec

rjbsec Registered Member

If everyone did just that there would only ever be one post for every subject, would make for a small and uninteresting forum!
    This is the "other anti-virus software" forum - opinions welcome from all.
    Have you checked the Kaspersky Forum recently - some really straight talking in many posts! :D
    Discussion content often changes with version updates etc and that is interesting for those who do not know the products.
    As you say, no I don't; however reading here will help others to see that you need various products in addition to an AV in order to "secure" your PC - like many others I use about half a dozen different programmes including an anti-trojan, hopefully most sensible users will not have "all their eggs in one basket".

For my 2 cents I have tried KAV and respected its capabilities but had no end of hassle installing it and experiencing compatability problems - checking the Kaspersky forum shows many others have had the same problems. Also support seems to come down to Don Pelotas on the forum, he surely deserves a few Rubles for all of his hard work!
    On the other hand NOD32 has installed flawlessly, just sits on my PC and causes me no hassle or conflicts whatsoever - if that makes me a "NOD32 Defender", so be it - I can only speak as I find from my experiences and my experiences are not in loads of past posts available by a search :D

14. waters

waters Registered Member

Wrong,this is a nod based forum .just look in the polls and see nod is the most used antivirus here.
    This would not be the case anywhere else.
    Broadband Security Forum have a antivirus poll where avg,norton,avast,etc are more used.
    Nod may or may not be the best,but base what you read hear ,with this in mind.
    It is a shame ,but if you use norton etc this is becomeing a forum not for you.

15. Brian N

On http://www.av-comparatives.org there is a survey on which AV people have installed on their systems.
    Symantec is #1, Kaspersky is #2, NOD32 is #3.

16. rjbsec

rjbsec Registered Member

Not very surprising that Symantec is no 1 - it is often pre-installed OEM, what is surprising is that mcafee isn't up there too as it's the most popular other pre-installed option.
    The fact that KAV and NOD are 2 and 3 surely speaks volumes.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

but yeah

Do not make duplicate posts in this thread. They will be removed. Thanks for the help.

18. but yeah

but yeah Guest

19. Brian N

Well that was fast ... Kaspersky is now #1, Symantec #2 :rolleyes:

20. bvhv

bvhv Guest

waht the hell u talking about o_O
    how symantec the crap is 2nd place ??

21. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

What's a matter Brian? don't like the results :D If it's of any consolation neither is Kasperky nor Nod32 is among the top five in installations. The survey at Av-comparatives is just a reflection what some forum users are using.

In an survey made (you can probably find the link here at Wilders), Norton had 33% of the world market, McAfee i believe had 25%, Trend-Micro 15% can't remember much more exept that Kaspersky had 1% of the worldmarket and Nod32 belonged to a group of anti-viruses which together had less than 1% of the worldmarket. :)

22. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

LOL!!! :D :D

Best post in this thread yet!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2005
  23. Brian N

Nah I'm just surprised the result changed 10 minutes after I last checked it :p

24. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The test environment decides which AV is the very best.
    NOD32 can be a winner in one test environment and a loser in another test environment.
    So it's always an accidental winner.

25. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hmmm.... [​IMG][​IMG]

I agree. You cannot crown any AV "King" because it works differently for different people and different setups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.