NOD32 vs BitDefender

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jmarsh, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

You need to post virtual memory usage as well to make any sense out of this argument.

2. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

I have 256 mb of RAM memory and the virtual memory is 364-768 by default, and the most important is that I don't see any performance issue's and that's on my computer and end...

3. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Virtual memory usage in task manager is what I'm requesting. ;)

But definitely, the most important thing is that it runs fine on your system and you're content!

4. sasa843

My point was to present BitDefender processes it uses, and services running while BitDefender is operating. And correct that the most important thing is that it runs fine on my computer, so and NOD32 was, so I vote for both. That means that no one will make a mistake if choose one of these two. Almost no one.

5. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Are you sure abou that lol? Most users are actually completely clueless abotu computer security and would most likely screw over their computers with any sort of antivirus.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Many of the progams had at that time were on demand, and web scanners. I was willing to uninstall those, although I am not sure how such web scanners, and on demand applications make an impact on the AV,

But I would not remove Ewido, and instead removed BD. I have not been sorry. The support folks were not helpful, but just said to remove essentially everything, and that BD was enough. I did not think so then, and still don't.
    It is strange that no other AV has required such. FS only required me to remove AdAware which it has, and which I don't think is so hot anyway. It has never found anything except cookies. I still have not installed it again.

Best,
    Jerry

7. The One

The One Frequent Poster

I really like security suites and especially KIS. But I've been testing BD 10 for a while and I must say I was impressed. It works fast. Has great detection rate. It has a reasonable firewall and a good anti spam.

It didn't need that much recourses. It was even working faster than "my" KIS 6.

But I believe that for some NOD32 will work better. You can change the set up in any way you like.
    But for the less experty people BD will probably be easier. No really difficult set ups have to be done

8. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

I agree with you.

I have tried BD IS and KIS also.

But BDI IS is more faster and easy to use also.

9. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Ewido (AVG anti-spyware) works without any problems with BitDefender such as other security programs it only has some problems with Spy Sweeper. I don't know if they have solved yet the Spy Sweeper issue. I just want to say that.

10. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

Nod32 is a superior product to bitdefender IMHO, I understand those that like BD but it has shown lack of quality control in it's program where Nod32 is consitently good, but than that my opinion...

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Neils,

Most folks do not have such conflicts, and I realize that. However, many think because they have not had conflicts that no one else does, or if someone does it is the system or operator. Some that run well on my laptop do not run well on my desktop.

In my case the BD Support did not offer any help except to remove all others, and Ewido specifically because I asked.

My own method of operation is that if an AV won't run well with essentially what I have on my system, I will go to one that will. That is simpler for me. I don't much care why it won't, it either will or won't and I either keep it or ditch it depending upon how well it runs.

If BD runs well on a system it is one of the best. As for me, I don't desire to "fool with it" again since I like NOD, F-Secure, and KAV better now that I have tried them. In fact I would prefer Avast Home plus AVG AS to BD. That is just my own opinion, and preference.

Regards,
    Jerry

12. sasa843

With all respect larryb52 but have You seen all the options BitDefender is offering?
    Maybe they are not in front of You when You start BitDefender gui but there are just enough options for everything.

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

bitdefender has quite alot of options, so does nod32 .... i dont mind the settings in nod32, but i hate all these 'profiles', ditch em eset.

14. The One

The One Frequent Poster

NOD32 is a good program but maybe had too many settings.
    BitDefender is also a great program and has a lot of possibilities.

So they both have a lot of possibilities and setings but I believe NOD32 has too many.

15. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hi JerryM

I am aware of the problems with BitDefender because I am active as moderator on the unofficial BitDefender forum. (There are some people active from Softwin). But I agree if I had lots of problems with BitDefender or another antivirus I would try another one.

I agree with you there are some very knowledgeable people active on their livechat but also normal people who don't knew too much. I also disagree that most say to remove all other securityprograms while it isn't necessary. They helped me with some problems and questions I had.

Regards,
    Niels

Hi larryb52

BitDefender offers many options. But they aren't enabled by default. You have to change the security level to enable specific options. NOD32 has also lots of options but for me too many as I said before in this topic.

Regards,
    Niels

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Even though BitDefender Live! support isn't exactly on my expertiese level (they need to help regular users not advanced ones anyway) they are quiet useful when you need help at that very moment. And they are available 24/7. For example last time i needed product key conversion and they sorted it out at that moment and tehy even gave me temprary key while i was waiting for the real one.

17. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Question about this support?
    How is the live support for NOD32?

18. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Don't mind it.

Put a question here, and watch the time for getting answer.

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Niels,

Thanks for the reply. I must say that the live chat got answers very fast. I found it helpful normally.

Have a good day.
    Jerry

20. pykko

pykko Registered Member

and is this a bad thing? :blink:

21. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

I have not used nod32 in a very long time ,but in my readings here it seems to have been improved a great deal.

As for BD i have used here recently.I did like the program,but my cpu usage stayed at 15%.All i could accertain is that it did not work well with something on my computer.BD seemed to be a very good program and it will be missed.

22. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hi RejZoR

For me they are not too technical. You can always ask that they explain it step by step. They will do that.But that is my opinion.

Regards
    Niels

Hi JerryM

That was gladly done. Livechat works faster then their emailsupport. Normally you receive a reply the next day. But that is only if you have a local support email address. That's for me the case. But support at bitdefender com is their worldwide address. So then it can take a while before you receive an answer. So the best thing is using livechat.
    Have also a nice day.

Regards
    Niels

Hi BrainWarp

15 % of CPU power is not that much. If you run other software they will use also a lot more cpu power. Do you remember what process it was? The only BD process that could use lots of CPU is bdss.exe (part of their file and folder scanner). But you can reduce that by excluding a pad or enable the option don't scan files larger then ... (fill in a value).

Regards
    Niels

23. BrainWarp

I agree 15% is not much,but no other antivirus uses more than 1%.

But for it to use 15% all the time is too much for me.

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont believe BD uses 15% of your CPU all the time,

in my experience, the real-time scanning of your HD uses nowhere near that and is not noticeable at all.

if you think BD is using too much of your resources, maybe its a wake up call to get some more.

25. BrainWarp

You are entitled your your belief.On the computer i built that has a 3700+ 939 WITH 1 G of ram at 2.2.2.5 and raptors in raid.

I cut most everything off or down in services for performance in games.I watch my resourse usage is why i was originally intersted in f-prot and dr web.

I watched the cpu usage for over a day before uninstalling BD.It never went below 13% cpu usage.I thought that to be unusual ,but figured it just did not like something else on my computer .I might reinstall and give it one more chance though.It is an excellant antivirus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.