NOD32 vs BitDefender

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jmarsh, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I will second that.;)

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

3. The One

The One Frequent Poster

My vote is for BitDefender as well.
    The PcWelt test sounds like a good test for me.

I believe BitDefnder did some great things the last couple of years. The most certainly passed NOD32.

4. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Hey, I'm only 20! :p Thanks for the links though, I will definitely look into them.

5. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

I wouldn't take the pcwelt tests too seriously as if Fortinet scores that high they are not using suitable samples in their tests. BitDefender has been doing great but it has not surpassed NOD32 just yet. av-comparatives.org

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well actually, there is a post on here were IBK highly rates av-test.org test, and says in this particular post that 'that test' is still the most reliable.

i dont know if IBK still feels this way, but the post with those comments is on here somewhere.

7. pykko

pykko Registered Member

I do think av-test.org tests are reliable. ;)

I've seen heuristic detection by nod32 not detected by bit defender and vice versa... but I think BD is slightly better now. :)

8. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Maybe you too are getting old to remember things right as I am sometimes? :D Look at the 08-2004 On-demand test by Av-Comparatives as well. ;)

Btw. Certain things just happens to go first up and then down!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

9. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Both are great programs. I used NOD32 and had only one problem. When NOD32 scanned .exe .dll files CPU usage was about 100% for a while. Now I am using BitDefender Internet Security Suite and have had no problems so far.

10. pykko

pykko Registered Member

it was probably something wrong at your installation or something with your OS. For me NOD32 never uses too much CPU.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

must of been something wrong i can run nod32 perfectly on a Pentium 3 system with only 256mb of ram
    lodore

12. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's normal if you have advanced heuristics enabled and scan a complex runtime packed file. It always takes time to emulate the code.

13. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

This is probably the most correct answer, NOD was installed on Blackspear's settings and Advanced heuristic was enabled.

14. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

I was referring to newer tests. I know that BitDefender beat NOD32 in that one. I still do not think av-test.org is as reliable as av-compratives as you can see with fortinet's detection rate and the difference you see in both of them. Also the differences with rising.

15. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Just different samples and different emphasis of sample categories. :)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep different samples, create different results...... which is why you should never go off test results, maybe just look at a 'few' not just one, get an average and use that to nudge you in the direction to 'trial the software' to see if you like it.

17. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Complicated? Can you be more specific? My personal opinion is that BitDefender is easy to configure. For me all settings were very clear. I am speaking for their Antivirus Plus version. If I compare BD with NOD 32. Then NOD32 is a little bit difficult to configure then BD. For me they are equal.

Niels

18. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

I do not see how NOD32 is a complicated product to setup either, the removal instructions in setup are clear to anyone that's used an antivirus before. The hardest part is finding the setup button.

19. Niels

Niels Registered Member

I was a little be confused with different modules that NOD32 uses instead of one interface. I must say that it was a while ago that I tried their trial. But after reading it wasn't difficult any more. In BD you don't have many options and NOD32 has for me too many options.

20. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Different strokes, I suppose.

One of the reasons I like NOD32 so much is the extreme configuration ability. I can have it running exactly how I want it and that makes me very happy. Paired with the low footprint and excellent heuristics engine, I can't complain at all.

21. Niels

Niels Registered Member

But too many options isn't also good. For me that confuses. But your right that it's very good that you can configure many settings. For setting the options you prefer. In BD you can change the most important settings but there aren't many.

22. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I used to use Symantec AV long long ago but i prefer at least some control of what to do with a find when an AV alerts & flags a signature match.

That's what makes AV's like Avast/KIS6 so invaluable IMO.

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Each person has to decide what they feel is the best for themselves. After all my stupidity, I settled in on what I think is the winner for me.

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Both are very good AVs. I found BD was not tolerant of some other applications, and have NOT found that to be true with NOD. NOD has run flawlessly on my two computers, and is clearly my own choice.

Try them both and see.

Best,
    Jerry

25. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Definitely, as a PC Technician for a local store, I get the opportunity to test many different antivirus flavors (albeit I can't recommend anything but Norton, sadly) in real world tests. After configuring my own XML settings file, I am very content with NOD32 in my cleanup procedures. I still use other ones on ocassion, but I generally come back to NOD32.

To each his own. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.