NOD32 versus BitDefender

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by djg05, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have been trialling NOD32 for the last few weeks and have no complaints with it except at £54 for two licences on a home network is too much.

It seems that BitDefender is more reasonable in its attitude in this regard. So I would welcome any feedback on the strengths or weaknesses of both programs. Not sure off hand how often B/D is database is updated.

Regards

David

2. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

My opinion is that they are both two of the better AV programs out there. Bitdefender probably has the edge with it's signature database and definitely with it's response time to new threats. NOD32 has the edge when it comes to heuristics and it's trojan and spyware detection is coming along well. Bitdefender is working to improve its already decent heuristic detection, but as far as I know, it (HIVE) is not implemented yet.

3. I've been running NOD32, and Bitdefender home on demand.
    I prefer to get updates manually...and I've found Bitdefender is a royal pain to
    up date...often have to try 3-4 times to do it....or wait until later.
    I don't know if auto update or the Pro version works better.
    Also as a little side note....NOD will give me 2 alerts towards the end of
    Bitdefenders scan.

Bitdefender seems to update at least once daily.

Trail both and see what you are more comfortable with.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am using Bit Defender 8.0. I have had no trouble with updates. I have the auto update feature set.
    I am pleased with it, but have never used NOD 32 so I cannot compare the two. I think which one seems to work best on your computer is the better of the two in that case.

My own AV set up is BD 8.0 and Mwav escan on demand. I also have Ewido. I suspect that it would be difficult to better that combination, although others would no doube equal it.

Jerry

5. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Tried Bitdefender 8.0 Standard and surely liked the program and updating was perfect, but comapred to Nod32, it was slowing down my system and that bothered me.
    I am using Dr. Web right now and find it a great program. Maybe you should try that as well and you won't be disappointed.

Amd Athlon 1800+, 512 Mb Ram and Win XP Pro + SP2

Good luck..... ;)

Putin

6. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Re Dr Web. I did try that for a while and it seemed good, then my system seemed to slow and it became more invasive, so uninstalled and moved on. However it was not until I installed LooknStop (previously I was using Kerio 2.1.5) that I discovered part or D/W was still in the system causing problems, and the only way to be rid of it was to wind back the registry.

I will give BitDefender a go and see what it does.
    I have no problem with NOD32 apart from them not giving any allowance for a second licence

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

When trialling software, it helps to have EVERY installation monitored by the FREE version of Total Uninstall. Then, when/if you UNinstall a monitored program...
    1) First use Control Panel's Add/Remove
    And then...
    2) ALSO use Total Uninstall

Yes, the above process amounts to TWO uninstalls. This causes no conflict & is 99.999% certain to clean-up ALL of the stuff that might get left behind by using Add/Remove only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.