Nod32 v4 blocks Messenger Live

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Biscuit, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I did a clean-up on a pc last week, but found later that Messenger Live was no longer working. General Internet access was fine, as was Skype. After a lot of checking - including removing the bloated "Live" suite & reinstalling, it still didn't work. As a last gasp, I removed Nod32 & Live started working immediately. (As part of my clean-up, I had updated the Nod32 from v2.7 to v4.) I then installed Nod32 v3 which still had the problem, so I went back to v2.7 & all is fine again. :doubt:

2. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I also experienced this difficulty loggin in Windows Live Messenger with v3, sometimes can login, sometimes cannot :(

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

4. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Thanks, it's a customer's pc. I don't have the opportunity to go back & mess about again.

It was EAV 4 that messed it up. I suspect that EAV 3 just picked up some setting from the registry,

5. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Yea, I had trialled v4 before reverting to version 3 that caused this mess of a registry and problem.:mad:

6. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I'll have to install it on my kids pcs then(lol)

7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

You are lucky not to have install or trial v4 on your computers, otherwise, you will join us on this frustrating nag problem.:p

Does anyone has any idea what in v4 might have caused this ? What other registry keys or folders or files to delete than those mentioned in the "manual uninstall Eset NOD32" KB ? :ninja:

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I have installed even BETA versions of v4 on these XP computers I talk about but everytime I have done this , I have "cleaned" them (uninstallation , reboot , deleting ESET folders , deleting ESET keys/reg entries... , etc) . Now v3.0.684 of ESS works great for them .:)
    I have "trialed" v4 because I resell ESET products.

9. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Big thanks to Aspace and DesertRat :thumb: I've identified the culprit and solved my Windows Live Messenger (WLM) login issue !:D

The culprit lies in this ESET KB solution ---> http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN549

It says add the line :
    'C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe' --log-file=log.txt --action=clean

This caused and started the problem with WLM login.:'(

I've since changed to using DesertRat's line :
    "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe" /clean-mode=strict /quarantine

This big (trivial) difference is in the punctuation marks, have you spot the difference ?:p

All's back to normal and working well now :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.