NOD32 v4.2 Bus. Ed: minimize impact of scans to users?

Discussion in 'ESET Endpoint Products' started by Reedmikel, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reedmikel

Reedmikel Registered Member

Hi All,

I am evaluating NOD32 v4.2 (Bus. Ed) and noticed on my own workstation that a "Smart" scan I scheduled is a bit too disk intensive for my liking. I can envision my customers complaining if their PCs are affected like mine is.

With past AV products, I could usually set a low priority CPU setting for certain types of scans (VIPRE called them quick scans). Is there a way to do this in ESET?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to schedule some sort of quick scan that runs at very low priority, or better yet - only runs during periods of when processor is idle... And I'd prefer that only common system areas be scanned - not the entire drive.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

TIA,
    -Mike

2. Reedmikel

Maybe there is a better section to post for EAV 4.2 BE support? I find ESET moderators are not very consistent in answering my questions that I have posted here :(

A scan is running right now (as I type this). It is sucking the life out of my computer so bad, that 80% of what I typed did not show on the web form. So I had to type this in Notepad, which at least did not drop characters like the forum's web form did (Firefox 5.x).

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What I can say on this topic - if you need to run on-demand scans of all files on disks, schedule an on-demand scan to run at times when the system is not loaded. I, for one, never run thorough on-demand scans as there are other protection modules that keeps my computer safe from threats. If really needed (e.g. if you want all archives to be scanned), run an on-demand scan once a month or a week at maximum. Business Edition 5 will introduce further optimization techniques to speed up scans.

4. Reedmikel

Thanks for replying Marcos!

1) I am trying to mimic what VIPRE did with their "quick scans", which would scan memory and several key folders (e.g. %WINDIR%, %ProgramFiles% ). I am guessing NOD32 does not have any predefined scan like this (which would be needed in order to scan all Windows os)? If it doesn't support envir vars, I guess I could define a custom scan profile, but I do not believe NOD32 supports environment variables in paths - or does it?

2) Sounds like you are saying it's normal for a "Smart" scan to significantly slow down a machine, even with the policy setting "Run background scans with low priority" set to YES? Not being sarcastic, but what does the "Smart" part mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.