NOD32 v4.2 Bus. Ed: minimize impact of scans to users?

Discussion in 'ESET Endpoint Products' started by Reedmikel, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reedmikel

Reedmikel Registered Member

Hi All,

I am evaluating NOD32 v4.2 (Bus. Ed) and noticed on my own workstation that a "Smart" scan I scheduled is a bit too disk intensive for my liking. I can envision my customers complaining if their PCs are affected like mine is.

With past AV products, I could usually set a low priority CPU setting for certain types of scans (VIPRE called them quick scans). Is there a way to do this in ESET?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to schedule some sort of quick scan that runs at very low priority, or better yet - only runs during periods of when processor is idle... And I'd prefer that only common system areas be scanned - not the entire drive.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

TIA,
    -Mike

2. Reedmikel

Maybe there is a better section to post for EAV 4.2 BE support? I find ESET moderators are not very consistent in answering my questions that I have posted here :(

A scan is running right now (as I type this). It is sucking the life out of my computer so bad, that 80% of what I typed did not show on the web form. So I had to type this in Notepad, which at least did not drop characters like the forum's web form did (Firefox 5.x).

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What I can say on this topic - if you need to run on-demand scans of all files on disks, schedule an on-demand scan to run at times when the system is not loaded. I, for one, never run thorough on-demand scans as there are other protection modules that keeps my computer safe from threats. If really needed (e.g. if you want all archives to be scanned), run an on-demand scan once a month or a week at maximum. Business Edition 5 will introduce further optimization techniques to speed up scans.

4. Reedmikel

Thanks for replying Marcos!

1) I am trying to mimic what VIPRE did with their "quick scans", which would scan memory and several key folders (e.g. %WINDIR%, %ProgramFiles% ). I am guessing NOD32 does not have any predefined scan like this (which would be needed in order to scan all Windows os)? If it doesn't support envir vars, I guess I could define a custom scan profile, but I do not believe NOD32 supports environment variables in paths - or does it?

2) Sounds like you are saying it's normal for a "Smart" scan to significantly slow down a machine, even with the policy setting "Run background scans with low priority" set to YES? Not being sarcastic, but what does the "Smart" part mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.