NOD32 v4.2 blocking some downloaded installers

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Zyrtec, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

I've noticed lately that somehow NOD32 is blocking some installers of programs which I download from the Internet for testing purposes.

Even when I do not see a balloon message form NOD32 stating the causes why the downloaded file did NOT complete and was interrupted instead [with about 99% downloaded] I can trace the culprit to NOD32 because ekrn.exe is maxing out all my dual-core processor cycles while it analyzes the file being downloaded.

This happened again, today this time with the AVG free AV installer [151MB] which I downloaded from MajorGeeks. NOD32 kept interrupting and cancelling the download every time I tried.

The larger the files the more likely NOD32 is going to cut the download short.

Couldn't you ESET staff do something to prevent this from happening? It's really annoying. If I want to download the file I have to boot onto Safe-Mode for the file to download properly...This is unacceptable and ridiculous.

Thanks.

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

what if you disable nod? also what browser i have had this with firefox 8 and 9beta for a while now at times and for me its not eset since with avast and avg it did the same thing. not saying its not causing your issue but just because of higher cpu usage that is not 100% saying its due to nod. if you disable nod for a certain time can you download the file?

3. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Already tried that and, it worked [disabling NOD32 real-time protection]. Therefore, it's a problem with NOD32 being overzealous with whatever file you download from the Internet.

Antivirus software should not be babysitting all your trusted downloaded files just because....oh...wait, there is a toolbar bundled on that download, therefore I have to cut the download so the user doesn't install the toolbar.

Whether I want to install a toolbar bundled with a downloaded file or not it's my prerogative. Many installers give you the option to not install toolbars if you untick that option while installing the software. My AV should not be meddling with that or I will have to look elsewhere for a different security solution for my computers.

Thanks

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

okay gotcha. was just a suggestion and i was not sure if you tried that since you mentioned having to use safe mode. its odd because i know anything that gets stopped download wise from eset i always get a pop up from and i have 9 systems with essv5 unless its strictly a issue with just the av, are your settings at default for pop ups? again these are just thoughts/suggestions.

5. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Upon installation, I always keep NOD32 at default settings because it's what they recommend for a balance between security and usability. I never change the settings to bump up the protection because of the stories of Advanced-Heuristics on Real-Time slowing your computer down to a crawl.
    Anyway, Advanced-Heuristics is enabled by default for WEB-PROTECTION module since [excluding USB sticks] the majority of PC infections are Internet borne.

The only setting I change is the splash screen because I don't like it.

But, that's fine. Thanks for your suggestions anyway. I know for sure that forum's “monitors” must have already checked upon this thread and if interested, may as well come up with some suggestions to see if this annoying NOD32 behavior goes away.

Regards.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you often download large files (archives) and encounter problems due to the fact that it takes time to decompress and scan all files inside, you can try setting a reasonable size limit for scanned objects in web and real-time protection.

7. Albsterama

Albsterama Registered Member

This use to be a real problem some time back (like a yr or more ago), my downloads would terminate and stop and these were legit downloads as well. And then it stopped.

Oh the joys of owning a PC :rolleyes:

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's a problem of the application downloading files that it doesn't wait a bit until the scan of a downloaded file completes.

9. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi,

I just setup a limit through the NOD32 v4 Advanced Settings console and I will monitor if that makes a difference when downloading files bigger than 50MB.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.