NOD32 V3 - 'An error occured while saving the configuration' as non admin user

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Chompy, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chompy

Chompy Registered Member

Running V3 NOD32 Business edition on Windows XP. I would like to give my end users the capability to change advanced settings since I have password protected them. However, when I try to change any advanced settings like realtime protection, etc. I get the above error when i am logged on as non-admin user. Happens on multiple machines, so seems like an 'as designed' feature

The error continues with "for more information click here" with a link that when clicked does nothing.

I called ESET support and they said it was not possible to change unless local admin on the box, but want to know if there is a way or maybe level 1 support may have overlooked something.

So far I have set permissions on NOD32 loadpoint, in the 'all users' profile (c:\documents and settings\allusers\Application Data\ESET), the HKLM\SOFTWARE\ESET reg key with <local machine>\users group full control to no avail...

Is there anyway to grant non-admin users ability to change advanced settings? I know it is a great 'security' feature to not let non admins muck around with AV settings, but I often have users dial in over VPN and I would like to at least have them change settings without logging off for those situations where NOD32 might be conflicting with running programs under their profile.

I figure the password would at least be a stop-gap measure....

thanks in advance!

2. a13a

a13a Registered Member

The problem is that once you let non-admins change the settings, you also allow any process that user iniates (or inadvertently initiates) to change those settings - i.e. a rogue malware could then de-activate part of your AV set-up.

Personally I would set up quarantined machines for suspected problem applications that had to run independant of NOD32, and let the VPN users remote to those machines - that would remove the need to modify settings on their own clients, which they may then forget to replace..

But as to your actual question, sorry never tried it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.